UKC

Mitsubishi Delica and Campervans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
readysalted 18 Feb 2013
I currently have a landrover discovery which is handy but not essential since I work in farming. I've recently seen lots of campers (VW vans converted to campers etc.) for very reasonably prices which has got me pondering.

I have never really liked campervans and the like. I've always thought them to be driven by old couples too reclusive to stay in a b&b, and not adventurous enough to camp. Recently though I can see why they're getting much more popular because they have plenty of advantages over tents.I find myself quite wanting one.

I've come across Mitsubishi Delicas which are like a camper van cum 4x4 people carrier, which I think look pretty cool. Does anyone have one or have any experience of them? Also what other campervans/ vans are cheap but well regarded?

I wouldn't say I'm that close to trading in my disco for one just yet, but would be interested to hear more about them. The idea of driving up to snowdonia and just being able to travel around as I please, and stop and sleep wherever I like, with the bonus of no tent to put up, weather irrelevant, and cooking facilities, proper bed, etc. is just fantastic.
 1poundSOCKS 18 Feb 2013
In reply to readysalted: I had a Delica to do just that in, until it got nicked (no alarm or immobiliser). I also owned a Mazda Bongo before that, one with the elevating roof. I would say I prefer the Bongo, the roof is great, and the seats are more comfortable to sleep on (both used folded down seats for a bed). Both are heavy on the diesel.
 Ridge 19 Feb 2013
In reply to readysalted:
Friends have had a couple of grey import delicas. Other than being a bit heavy on the juice, no complaints. Advantages are you can fit 6x4 sheets of plywood in the back easily, and they also do a 4wd version which I think is based on the shogun or pajero, depending on year. Very comfy as a big car, but not slept in one.
 edwardwoodward 19 Feb 2013
In reply to readysalted:
I'm just in the process of getting my second Delica - the old boxy type, called Star Wagon over here. The first one's been excellent, cost me next to nothing, but it's got to the stage where it's cheaper to replace it than fix the turbo. This one and the second model (Space Gear in Japan) have seats that flatten into a bed, but I've heard that the latest model (D5 over here) doesn't have that. Heavy on diesel, as others have said, but very reliable.
 Jamie B 19 Feb 2013
In reply to edwardwoodward:

> This one and the second model (Space Gear in Japan) have seats that flatten into a bed.

They flatten, but not really into a bed. I'd say the seats would be more space-efficient if you could take them out.

I wouldn't get one. Heavy on fuel and scary on corners.
 edwardwoodward 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
> (In reply to edwardwoodward)
>
> [...]
>
> They flatten, but not really into a bed. I'd say the seats would be more space-efficient if you could take them out.

Yes, there is a ridge (or dip) where the head of the middle row meets the seat of the back row, but it's not going to keep you awake. As a once in a while sleeper it's fine, but if you were planning long trips to sleep in, you might want something purpose-built. I prefer to sleep in my tent, but every once in a while it's just too much hassle to put it up.

Just remembered, you need the 8-seater for this. The 7-seater won't line up at all.
>
> ...scary on corners.

That depends on how you drive it!

M0nkey 20 Feb 2013
In reply to readysalted:

On a slightly related point, I used to have the original Suzuki Wagon R, and the seats in it folded down into a double bed, which was a novel feature given the fact that it was a 1.0l engined compact car. I slept in it a fair bit when cragging. It was brilliant if you didn't mind driving around in a car that looked ridiculous. You could probably buy one of them now for a few hundred quid if you wanted one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...