UKC

Hill intervals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 18 Feb 2013
Does anyone do these? As my knees seem to be permanently knackered I thought these might be a good way to preserve them as I'd walk down instead of run. However the hill I used tonight took 5:30 to run up which meant I had completely recovered by the time I'd got back down each time. What do people do bearing mind I just want to be able to run up hills a bit more easily than I do now rather than increase speed.
 DancingOnRock 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Tyler: Run up the hill for 90secs, turn around and walk down for 30secs, turn around and repeat whole process until you're at the top.
 Banned User 77 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Tyler: The obvious one is biking.. long reps on a bike.. ride down..
 Sharp 19 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Tyler) The obvious one is biking.. long reps on a bike.. ride down..

Or jog up with your bike and ride down. There's a good hill near me with a shortcut down which makes things easier.
 Liam M 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Tyler: I generally do hill reps rather than intervals, so don't mind if it takes a while to descend.

Unless you're after particularly long hills, are there any hills nearby that are sufficiently long that you could halt the interval part way up, and so don't have to return to the beginning to start the next faster interval. So if you can find a hill that takes about 10mins to climb, push for 2 mins, then easy for 1min, and repeat. At the top walk down and repeat the set.

For anything longer I'd just plot a hilly route and push on the uphills.
 steveriley 19 Feb 2013
Don't honestly have a master plan but tend to do shorter hill reps 30, 90 and 120s and just jog down. On the bike I do a similar 90s climb and a longer one about 12 mins. Because you're on the bike you get down a lot quicker ...and don't feel completely recovered

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...