UKC

Thinking of changing career - anyone work in the oil industry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 20 Feb 2013
As i live in the NE and they're saying there is another boom coming I'm thinking I've had enough of my current management career.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an advice service which could tell me whether I'm actually employable in the oil industry and if so how to get in there?
 KellyKettle 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong: I've dealt with. company called 'oilchemists' who recruit for the petrochemicals industry... I believe they have a sister/parent company called staffhunt who may be able to tell you more.

Out of interest, why Oil? I'm currently looking at it myself, but as I've primeraly worked in heavy industry then on organic/process chem research, its a no-brainer.
 wbo 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong: What's your background. Like most people in the industry I have headhunters calling all the time.

If there's another boom coming I'm not sure it'll be based in NE England.
 Mike C 20 Feb 2013
In reply to wbo:
>
> If there's another boom coming I'm not sure it'll be based in NE England.

Isn't that a tad Anglocentric? He said he lived in the NE. Funnily enough the major centre for the oil industry in The UK is in the NE of Scotland.
Graeme G 20 Feb 2013
In reply to KellyKettle:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong)
>
> Out of interest, why Oil?

NE Scotland has very limited job opportunity's and as my original degree is Physics (interestingly I wanted to be a Geophysicist when I was at uni) it seemed the logical choice. The fact there is a predicted boom made me wonder whether now is the time to go for it.

Graeme G 20 Feb 2013
In reply to wbo:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong) What's your background. Like most people in the industry I have headhunters calling all the time.

Completely unrelated to oil but I'm wondering whether my background (long time ago mind) in Physics and my recent experience in management might open doors for me.
>
> If there's another boom coming I'm not sure it'll be based in NE England.

That mad me smile

Graeme G 20 Feb 2013
In reply to KellyKettle:

Should also add money....my neighbour works offshore in Africa. £80K tax free!!!
 ripper 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong: Is there a lot of call for hyperactive Catholic priests in the oil industry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...