UKC

Using a windproof with a RAB V.R. Guide jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jayferg76 21 Feb 2013
At the moment, i use a RAB V.R. Guide jacket in the winter, and carry a Pac-lite jacket to throw on when it starts throwing it down. The RAB is fine in lighter rain and snow, but takes a while to dry out when it eventually wets out.
I was thinking of getting a RAB Alpine windshell for the summer, and started wandering if i put that over the Guide and regularly reproof the DWR on both, would it act a bit like a Paramo jacket so i can dispense with the waterproof, and give me a more flexible system.
This is purely for walking, (as i suffer from knocking knee syndrome if i try climbing).

On a similar note, my Generator jacket is due another wash, and it doesn't bead water to well now. Can i use the same Nikwax on it that i use on my waterproof?

Your advice is much appreciated.
In reply to jayferg76: Isn't the Rab Alpine Pull-On just an unlined Vapor Rise so the same face fabric as your VR guide? If so you're not going to increase the waterproofing by layering that on top, might keep slightly warmer I guess.

I use a VR guide in Winter with a hard shell in my pack but that hardly ever gets used. Are you washing your VR guide in soap flakes, warm ironing and ocassionally using a spray-on reproofer? I find that keeps all my VR jackets beading nicely. =o)
OP jayferg76 21 Feb 2013
In reply to highaltitudebarista: Hi mate, yes it gets washed in soap flakes, reproofed and tumble dried, and it does bead well, but it does get used everyday in the cold . I walk the dogs for a couple of hours everyday, and it gets used out on the hill as well, so i'm assuming that all that wear on it degrades the DWR pretty quickly.
On average, with all the sweat, mud and dog slobber that it gets covered in, it gets washed every 2 weeks, and reproofed about 0nce a month.

To be honest, i was a bit sceptical about the idea, but i had it in my head that i'd read somewhere about a Paramo Fuera smock and a Paramo fleece, when both proofed, acted more or less like an Analogy jacket when worn together.
That's where the idea came from, plus i'm trying to convince myself to buy the Alpine Pull-on.
In reply to jayferg76: I could see the Alpine pull-on being useful in Summer for sure, I've got a Boreas which does a similar thing. I think if wind is the issue for you in Winter then a windproof over your VR guide would help (I had a Rab Cirrus over the top of my VR guide on the summit of Helvellyn on Sunday which worked pretty well, cut the wind out but was still breathable), but if its the horizonal rain then you really want a membrane hardshell.
OP jayferg76 21 Feb 2013
In reply to highaltitudebarista: Cheers for that mate. To be honest, the wind isn't to much of a problem, though i have felt it on occasions. I think i'm sold on getting one, just have to convince Mrs Ferg that i really need one before summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...