UKC

Alpine vs Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 21 Feb 2013
A little perplexed. Is gear for Scottish Winter sufficient for use in Alpine peak climbing? Do you use the same stuff for both? Just wondered what you guys use kit-wise and your thoughts on this. Seems very pricey to have a thermal layer, soft-shell, fleece and shell layer for each environment you're in.
 RKernan 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
Yes, generally, altohugh you might be a bit warm! You don't need as much of it either, as you need to be prepared for all sorts of weather in Scotland, whereas in the Alps you should only be going out on good days.
I generally wear waterproof trousers and pile jacket for Scottish winter, Fleece/softshell for Alpine stuff. Basically, anything that can stand up to Scottish Winter will be more than fine for Alpine summer but don't overpack.

If it's Alpine winter though, you'll need warmer boots probably.
OP Stani49 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

Thanks. I'm going to Scotland for some Winter climbing this weekend- would I be warm enough with some Odlo thermal stretch pants and some soft-shell Mountain Equipment Ibex pants (wore them on Mont Blanc)? On Mont Blanc I wore some trekking pants under the soft-shell pants too. I have some very thin/cheap waterproof overtrousers too.
 Mr. Lee 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

You generally need warmer clothes for Scotish winter vs summer Alps. Including a full outer layer that will provide a proper winds barrier. I wear a Goretex jacket & salopettes but I'm sure there are equivalent materials like wind-stopper.
 StuMsg 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
Scottish winter climbing I go with;
Upper - base layer, softshell jacket, waterproof jacket
Lower - base layer, thin trousers, waterproof trousers (or only waterproof pile insulated trousers

also pack hat, gloves, spare gloves or mits, buff and insulated jacket.

take care and have fun!!!
 NottsRich 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: Thermals, Ibex and waterproofs should be fine. Keep the waterproofs in your bag unless you need them, otherwise you may well be too hot when you're moving around. (Assuming you have a similar system of thermals and coats and shells on your top half)
almost sane 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
Looks like you picked the right weekend!

On other weekends I would say bring a couple of extra pairs of gloves, keep all your spare clothes in a dry sack, and bring goggles and something to protect your face.
 RKernan 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
YOu should be fine. I've often worn the Ibex pants with thermals under in Scotland and been grand.

In fact I don't normally bother with a waterproof jacket. My Montane Extreme does the job fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...