UKC

Insurance for mountain bikes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lauren Davies 21 Feb 2013
I am looking to ensure my mountain bike and am finding most quotes quite expensive (£15-20 per month from protect your bubble, E&L, ETA). people have recommended adding it on to house insurance but I am renting a shared property for 7 months and my contents (very low value!)are covered under parent's house insurance; adding my bike to this would greatly increase their premiums if i had to claim.
I have a specialized enduro worth about £2500 and having trouble finding tenant's insurance which will cover a bike of high value. the bike will be kept in my room with a locked door.

Any advice or do you think i should just invest in a high security lock and not bother with insurance?
Thanks!
 Dom Brown 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Lauren Davies: I think British Cycling offer some sort of insurance scheme, it might be worth looking into that?
 balmybaldwin 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Lauren Davies:

It depends what cover you want really, if it's just theft, then putting it on a contents policy will probably be the cheapest method, but as you say will cause premium hikes if you do have it stolen.

Protect your Bubble etc offer much higher levels of cover - crash damage, theft, bodily injury, breakdown!, european cover etc. This is who I use for my carbon Steads. (it is pricy, but also piece of mind if I stack it badly)
 Adam15 22 Feb 2013

Most seem to be around 10% or slightly less of the bike value for annual cover, cheapest option is on contents insurance. It all depends what you want, the rise in bike theft doesn't help with insurance costs either but cheaper to insure it than have to replace it yourself if it does get stolen.
Ruub 22 Feb 2013
Hi Lauren,

CIS insurance and M&S Insurance have very good insurance for bikes, may need to add as part of an 'all risks' policy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...