UKC

Final Year Research Study - 5mins of your time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
Hi all.
My name is Jonathan Lloyd, I am currently studying in my final year of University and undertaking my final year independent study. My study is investigating the relationships between climbing, helmet use and risk taking.

The views of UKClimbing users would be a massive help to my research study, And would be much appreciated.

My research takes the form of a 5minute questionnaire, no personal information is asked for, all responses are anonymous, and all data collected will be used for Academic purposes.

To complete the questionnaire simply follow this link:
http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/s/71585UNYNT

If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to comment on this thread, and I will respond accordingly.

Many thanks,
Jonathan Lloyd.

"Posted with permission of UKClimbing"
 Oceanrower 21 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: sorry, Tried to finish but couldn't. Questions 10 onwards assume that I wear a helmet. An 'I don't wear one' option would help.
OP jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Oceanrower:
Hi there Oceanrower, many thanks for your reply. It could be suggested then that wearing a helmet, or not as is the case for you, has 'no effect' on your route choice? The final questions is merely a reflection of your thoughts as a climber?
Hope that helps? Nonetheless, thanks for the thoughts, will definitely take that on board!
 Oceanrower 21 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: In that case, done.
OP jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: Fantastic, thank you! Is much appreciated!
In reply to jonny2468:

Questions 11 and 12 are a bit broad. Wearing a helmet is only a small part of my decision on what route to attempt. So although there is a positive correlation between helmet wearing and danger/difficulty of route attempted, it's quite small. If your aim is to draw some conclusion about helmet wearers taking more risks, then you're going to end up overstating this as a result.

Anyway, done.
OP jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics: You raise a very valid point, the dynamics of climbing are such that the decisions we make are dependent on a huge variety of different variables, further still, each individual has a different level of susceptibility to such variables. A perspective that will definitely be incorporated into any conclusions drawn from the research findings.
Thanks for the feedback victim of mathematics, it is all appreciated, and definitely helpful!

Regards,
Jonathan.
 toad 21 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: done.
 Mike Stretford 21 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Done, but had to put no effect for 11 and 12 due to wording (or bale out of the survey). It would be better if you'd asked what I'd do if I didn't have a helmet. I'm sure you could have directed participants to different answers based on earlier answers.
OP jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Papillon: Thanks for the input Papillon, I am grateful for the feedback. And for you taking the time to respond!
 mikeyratty 21 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Hi Jonny, you may find that there is a generation factor for those older types whose only real choice of helmet was rather heavy and clumsy and so they tended not to bother unless somewhere like the alps. Look at the photos in the historical section on here.It's only recently that I bought a new modern helmet because I needed one for the SPA and working. I would consider wearing it on a hard slab route or somewhere like Gogarth or Stoney because it's just my habit,despite the publicity from the BMC etc.
Mike
OP jonny2468 21 Feb 2013
In reply to mikeyratty: I think you raise a good point Mikey, the development of both helmet design and functionality has come a long way in the last 5 years, let alone 25, and this undoubtedly plays a large part in peoples decision whether or not to wear a helmet, including the effect it may or may not have on their behaviour.
Thanks Mikey.
Let me know if you want an overview of my findings upon completion, would be more than happy to arrange that!
Regards,
Jonny.
OP jonny2468 27 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Just to let all know, the questionnaire is now offline, and the results being analysed as of today. May I say a huge thank you to both the UKClimbing community and the climbing community as a whole for the overwhelming level of response I have had regarding this matter, having provided my study with a significant data set in such a short space of time. And a final thank you to the UKClimbing Administrators for giving consent to post the research study on here. I will be more than happy to provide an overview of the findings upon completion.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Jonny.
 toad 27 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Thanks very much for posting this. I think this might be the first time any one of these research questionaire posters has come back and said a proper thank you. AIIRC, yours was also one of the best ones I've looked at. Thanks again
 TobyA 27 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Having looked at helmets quite a lot last year for my UKC article, I think it would be really interesting if you could write an shortened article for the layman based on your research. I bet if it's good, Mick and Alan here at UKC would be happy to publish it, because it is a very relevant subject.
OP jonny2468 15 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: Absolutely, I would be delighted to do that. It is a subject very important to me and would be more than happy to write an overview of the findings for this specific purpose. Toby, can you give me some guidance regarding how I would go about arranging submitting such an article?
Regards,
Jonny.
In reply to jonny2468:
> (In reply to TobyA) Absolutely, I would be delighted to do that. It is a subject very important to me and would be more than happy to write an overview of the findings for this specific purpose. Toby, can you give me some guidance regarding how I would go about arranging submitting such an article?
> Regards,
> Jonny.

Just a thought Jonny .... Given the passage of time between posts, TobyA may not see your comments?
As far as submitting an article to UKC, try looking in the contact us section by clicking the link in posting guidelines and use the "Send us your article" form I would have thought would be one way?
OP jonny2468 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman: Thanks for the advice, will look into that method as soon as I have completed my research piece! Many thanks,
Regards,
Jonny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...