UKC

Hammered and Chiseled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EddInaBox 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:

Thanks Mick, another brilliant instructional video from UKC, I'm off to Wickes in the morning to get kitted out.
 jon 21 Feb 2013

He's really subtle isn't he?
 JimboWizbo 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: Oh eck
 itsThere 21 Feb 2013
"We would like to state unequivocally that EDELRID does not support the practice of chipping. It is our belief that the challenge, and the pleasure of climbing, lies in rock formations, as they occur naturally.

With this in mind we can state that we find the recent behaviour of Ivan Greene to be completely unacceptable, and we would like to take this opportunity to clarify that he is no longer an EDELRID sponsored athlete, and in actuality has not been supported by the brand for over 12 months.

We will be removing all references to Ivan Greene from the EDELRID website with immediate effect." from the Edelrid facebook

Is this for real? Is the guy in the video actually a well-known climber?

jcm
 FB 21 Feb 2013
In reply to EddInaBox: Its ok dewalt sell a 18v battery chipper that does just the job without the elbow grease
 DaveHK 21 Feb 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH)
>
> Is this for real? Is the guy in the video actually a well-known climber?
>
> jcm

Sounds like it. Also sounds like he has previous.
OP Michael Ryan 21 Feb 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

More on the story here: http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/chipping-in-newyork
 MJ 21 Feb 2013

That's truly awful and downright shocking. I had to watch it a couple of times to confirm that what I was seeing was actually happening.
The man is obviously a complete and utter unthinking idiot and his actions beggar belief. The film crew should have intervened much, much earlier and insisted that he wear the appropiate PPE safety eye wear.
Absolutely appalling behaviour, he could have had his eye out!

>Whether or not Greene's actions portrayed in the video are chipping or aggressive cleaning remains a debatable point.

Really??

>and climbers in areas with generally blank rock such as that at Riggins, Idaho, accept chipping as necessary

and again, really??

Sounds like this guy has mental health issues.

jcm
Removed User 21 Feb 2013

I find it remarkable that they finish the video with a shot of all the paraphenalia found there "a few days later". I'd have thought it would have been more appropriate for an A&E doctor to have found one of those chisels up that guy's anus a few hours after the film had been shot.

Where are those assault rifle wielding psychos when you need 'em eh?

BigBrother 21 Feb 2013
In reply to MJ: He wasn't wearing a hi-viz vest either. No wonder a company like Edelrid that make safety equipment have stopped sponsoring him. It is hardly the sort of example they will want to promote to children.
In reply to MJ:

All I can think is, what an incredibly negative and destructive way this guy is wasting his day. Trying to understand just what the guy is getting out of it has much in common with trying to understand the mind of a psychopath. Which is very difficult indeed for most (boringly?) normal and reasonably balanced people. It's all very depressing, because I cannot see how on earth we can ever stop psychopathic nutters doing 'their own thing'. And doing irreversible damage. (In that respect, it's on a par with some of the more serious crimes, isn't it?)
 TMM 21 Feb 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Edelrid may have dropped him but I see that Snap-on have signed him up as a brand ambassador.
 JimboWizbo 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: Has he been to the peak district recently by any chance?
 John P 21 Feb 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo:

No, he was trying to create a boulder problem; the recent chippings in the Peak District are not even the same ballpark/league/sport.

Bulls Crack 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Sense of proportion? It's not good for the sport but it's hardly a crime!
 Enty 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

What if I go to the park across the road and smash all the kiddies slides and stuff up with a sledge hammer?

E
 Fraser 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
>
> And doing irreversible damage. (In that respect, it's on a par with some of the more serious crimes, isn't it?)

In the grand scheme of things, (and even in the very small scheme of things) no, it's not.

mark s 21 Feb 2013
edelrid still have him on their site.
he has a facebook page if you want to message him to tell him what you think
In reply to Fraser: You may not think so, but I believe that values are never consigned to sealed compartments and spread across all of life. Thus Churchill's famous comment about being able to judge a nation by the way they treat their animals has more than a ring of truth.

On the bright side, whoever sends the newly created problem first should deffo be drunk while doing it and call it Hammered and Chiseled. I thought at first that's what this thread was going to be about.

No excuse for this behavior.
 t_stork 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: I often watch voyeuristic videos of people hammering in the wood, and this is not what I excepted.
 crustypunkuk 22 Feb 2013
Churchill's famous comment about being able to judge a nation by the way they treat their animals has more than a ring of truth.

Was that quote not Gandhi's?

Skyfall 22 Feb 2013

I'm amazed at the comments on that article and below it - what a bunch of apologist tw*ts. That wasn't "aggressive cleaning" and even "chipping" is far too polite a description - he was hammering the rock into submission.

Mind you, the USA seems to find drugs in sports sort of acceptable really and definitely ok if you aplogise when you get caught - so I shouldn't be surprised really.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: F*cking outrageous! No safety glasses!
 Bulls Crack 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> What if I go to the park across the road and smash all the kiddies slides and stuff up with a sledge hammer?
>
> E

Fair point...but you'd be a strange and disturbed vandal, whereas said chipper is really just a selfish tw*t at the end of the day.
 Brass Nipples 22 Feb 2013

I thought you were referring to my new physique , took months you know..
 Enty 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> Fair point...but you'd be a strange and disturbed vandal, whereas said chipper is really just a selfish tw*t at the end of the day.

I agree dude - but I think he's all three. Strange, disturbed and a selfish tw*t.

E
OP Michael Ryan 23 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Fraser) You may not think so, but I believe that values are never consigned to sealed compartments and spread across all of life. Thus Churchill's famous comment about being able to judge a nation by the way they treat their animals has more than a ring of truth.

Climbings' dirty little secret exposed for all to see. Ivan Greene taking the rap for the hundreds of climbers before him who have done far worse.

Pete Livesey anyone and that is just for starters in the UK.

moo 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: Care to give us the rundown on your chipping exploits mick?
 Owen W-G 23 Feb 2013
In reply to moo:

Is Greene silent? Does he have a blog or twitter acc or something? He's taking a lot of abuse, the guys cred it toast.,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...