UKC

Tripod head recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coolhand 22 Feb 2013
I'm in the market for a new head, my current ball head has a fair bit of creep and it's doing my head in.

Anyone able to recommend a fairly light head that doesn't creep with a D3 on it and doesn't cost an arm?
 Blue Straggler 22 Feb 2013
In reply to coolhand:

How heavy is a D3 (what lens do you have on it)
I like my Manfrotto 352RC but I'll take a guess that it is below spec for you. But it's a starting point. Fairly light, nice QR
 Adam Long 22 Feb 2013
In reply to coolhand:

Decent ball-heads are pricey, doesn't seem to be much of a way round it. I've got a Gitzo GH2780QR, which I managed to get, plus an arca adaptor, for under £250. Its not perfect but its pretty good, the drag control is very good and there is no creep.

In my experience creep is often due to the connection to the camera, not the ball itself, so its worth getting that sorted first.
OP coolhand 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: The D3 is about 1.1Kg. Lens varies, but either a 50mm 1.4 or a 24-70 2.8 generally.
 Dan Lane 22 Feb 2013
In reply to coolhand:

I'd whole-heartedly recommend Redged tripods and heads. You don't see many of them in the UK because they're based int he Netherlands, however they're brilliant bits of kit and do ship to the UK.

http://www.redgedstore.com/
OP coolhand 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:
Cheers for the tip, I'll take a look.
 icnoble 23 Feb 2013
In reply to coolhand: I have got a Swiss Arca ball head and plate. with an l-plate on the camera, a rock solid combination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...