UKC

Taking the micky of home grown British Terrorists?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 22 Feb 2013
With all the publicity of the recent Three Lions and the media trying to make them look like idiots, I think its a bad idea because it will only encourage other fundamentalists to up their game.

I'd even go as far to say as the media are giving potential terrorists pointers on how to evade capture until they blow themselves and others up.

The UK is quite lucky with a Secret Service that cut its teeth learning how to capture Irish terrorists during the Troubles.

And if anybody is going to bleet, when I was growing up in England with a strong Irish accent I had to endure jokes of being a terrorist and being a thick Mick.

British home grown Islamic Terrorist can screw over and over but it only takes one 'Cell' to succeed where as the Secret Service can not afford to fail to detect threats.

End of rant/rambling.
In reply to The Lemming:

That's the nature of terrorism -- the terrorists only have to get lucky once -- the security services have to get lucky all of the time!

Most of the time ( quite rightly) we never get to hear about the attempts that are foiled / abandoned at a very early stage due to effective 'intelligence'.

Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Yes.
 Reach>Talent 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Taking the mickey out of our homegrown terrorists?

Seems a pretty reasonable response to me, no sense in doing their work for them and making them seem scary. Given the hugely slim chance of getting caught up in an Islamist terrorist attack even if you ride the tube everyday with a bunch of Dutch Cartoonists why should you be frightened by it? I'd rather the media played down the threat than made it out to be greater than what it is.

Tony the Blade 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> The UK is quite lucky with a Secret Service that cut its teeth learning how to capture Irish freedom fighters during the Troubles.
>

Fixed
Wiley Coyote2 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> [The UK is quite lucky with a Secret Service that cut its teeth learning how to capture Irish freedom fighters during the Troubles
>
> Fixed

The UK is quite lucky with a Secret Service that cut its teeth learning how to capture Irish gangsters, protection racketeers and drug dealers during the Troubles

Fixed

Clauso 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
>
> The UK is quite lucky with a Secret Service that is able to rake in millions in box office revenue by employing James Bond.

Fixed.

In reply to Clauso:

Alas no. Mr Bond is SIS. Security Service has to make do with that lot from Spoooks.
Clauso 22 Feb 2013

But, but, but... Of course he's secret service! He appeared in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, didn't he? Granted, that he looked a bit different back then.
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
>
> But, but, but... Of course he's secret service! He appeared in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

True but you have to remember Ian Fleming was a journalist so not one to let the facts get in the way of a good title
 Milesy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> With all the publicity of the recent Three Lions and the media trying to make them look like idiots, I think its a bad idea because it will only encourage other fundamentalists to up their game.

Why and how will this happen?
Frogger 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

They are all idiots in my view.

Plain and simple.

Plus a load of other things but I don't want to hijack the thread
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: They could start by shaving, they'd look less like Islamic terrorists then, did their bombs have BOMB written on the side?
 Ramblin dave 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I think the main thing that the press do to help Islamic extremists is to continue pushing the whole idea that there's a battle of cultures and all muslims are scary invaders who beat their wives and will chop off your hands as soon as look at you and so on. This translates into a hostility towards Islam which in turn makes it easier for Islamic extremists to stir up militancy against the rest of society...
KevinD 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> With all the publicity of the recent Three Lions and the media trying to make them look like idiots,

i assume you mean four lions? Also from what i recall of that film it was a equal opportunities insulter. The security services etc didnt come out too well.

> I think its a bad idea because it will only encourage other fundamentalists to up their game.

interesting notion. so there they are planning for some suicide bombing but it will require a film to motivate them?
redsonja 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Frogger: agreed
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance: Slow news day in your neck of the woods?
 Reach>Talent 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
The main problem with terrorists is their fringe idiologies. By operating on the Far Left, the Far Right or a fundamentalist religious perspective makes them easy to single out. What we should be really scared of is political moderates turning to terrorism:

Can you imagine the chaos a militant arm of the Liberal Democrats would cause? You'd have no idea where they could strike, or if they'd strike and once they had started there would be an apocalyptic wave of Liberal on Liberal revenge attacks as they attempted to terrorise everybody equally! Maybe this has already happened and they wiped themselves out without harming any outsiders?
OP The Lemming 22 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> [...]
>
> i assume you mean four lions?

No, I mean three.
 deepsoup 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Lions-DVD/dp/B000F3T90O

God forbid the media should try to make those three look like idiots.
 Reach>Talent 22 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
Too sloooowwwww!
 Tony the Blade 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Rubber dinghy rapids, Bro
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm: Just ban mustaches would do. When was a plane ever hijacked by someone not wearing a mustache?

(Back in 1970, by that really fit Palestinian woman, that's when, but she was the exception to several rules.)
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: I'm not talking about banning them from having beards, I just think that if you want to be a successful Islamic terrorist you could consider trying to look less like an Islamic terrorist. Take Abu Hamza, the hook was a dead giveaway.
 deepsoup 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Yep. I snoozed, I um... losed.

(I also made the lose/loose faux pas that really annoys me when other people do it, felt obliged to delete that post and give myself a slap. Not my day.
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> No, I mean three.
>
> Are you absolutely positive?

Yes.
 Milesy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Enlighten us then. What is/are Three Lions
 Ridge 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I think piss taking is an excellent idea.

I'm an inadequate young man who fancies being a martyr. Do I want to be associated with:

A. A universally feared organisation whose steely-eyed dealers of death strike terror into the unbelievers.

B. A bunch of shouty, beardy, numpties who couln't organise whatever the islamist version of a piss up in a brewery is.

Which of those images would make me want to jump on the jihad wagon?
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: The 3 would-be-bombers convicted yesterday. Really! It's like some people don't have access to the internet.
In reply to Milesy:
>
> Enlighten us then. What is/are Three Lions

One of the nicknames given by the media for the three criminals.
 deepsoup 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> Really! It's like some people don't have access to the internet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=three+lions

Um.. nope, nothing there.
KevinD 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> One of the nicknames given by the media for the three criminals.

can you give some links please. Since the only reference i can see is in a telegraph article commenting on the fact one of the plotters used the phrase.
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance: There's no need to be embarrassed because you didn't get the reference.
 deepsoup 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Ridge:
> I think piss taking is an excellent idea.

Absolutely correct imo.
KevinD 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
>
> How about here?
>
> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=three+lions+conviction&ie=utf-8&o...

ermm fail. You know you can use "" around a string to reduce the matches. Otherwise it just returns any page which uses those words in any combination with whatever between them.
Now lets see a clear example of the media using it.
KevinD 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to dissonance) There's no need to be embarrassed because you didn't get the reference.

that because there isnt one.
 Sir Chasm 22 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance: There is now.
 Milesy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> One of the nicknames given by the media for the three criminals.

I can't find that? The media has referenced the film "Four Lions" though.
 deepsoup 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
That would have been a better clue, if I'd already known what you were on about. Still no references to "Three Lions" in those links though.

The nearest I could see was the quote from the surveillance tapes of Ashik Ali:
"Oh, you think this is a flipping Four Lions. We're one man short."

You've got to admit, that is pretty funny. To answer the OP: Yes - taking the piss is completely appropriate.
In reply to deepsoup:

> You've got to admit, that is pretty funny. To answer the OP: Yes - taking the piss is completely appropriate.

I'll try to expand on my OP, I too enjoy taking the piss out of terrorist misfortunes. Its the British way of showing that we will keep calm and carry on.

What I'm not too keen on is the media showing the bumbling trainee terrorists where they went wrong and providing examples for future wannabe bumbling terrorists to attempt to learn from and improve their evasion of capture until, BOOM!.

youtube.com/watch?v=l4QffyT-foI&
 MJ 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

when I was growing up in England with a strong Irish accent I had to endure jokes of being a terrorist and being a thick Mick.

Look on the bright side, at least you're no longer being accused of being a terroist...
Soren Lorenson 22 Feb 2013
Were The Three Lions the ones that wreaked havoc through Africa and India?

> True but you have to remember Ian Fleming was a journalist so not one to let the facts get in the way of a good title

He also worked for Naval Intelligence during WW2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fleming

'Operation Golden Eye'...

Then there was Hardy Amies, the fashion designer, working at SOE...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_Amies

The Wiki contributor has a nice turn of phrase:

"SOE's commander Major General Colin Gubbins did not regard a dressmaker as suitable military material"

dressmaker - material - geddit...?
In reply to dissonance:
>> With all the publicity of the recent Three Lions
>i assume you mean four lions?

Maybe the seals got the other one.

Rubbishy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

He had a particular involvement with a sneaky beaky outfit called T Forcethat went ahead of the ground troops in the latter stages of the war trying to secure German technology from the russians (and Yanks) and send it back home.

Lots of intrigue and derring do as a consequence. According to what I read, Bond was based upon one of the commander of 30 Commando, the intelligence out fit that was absorbed into T Force.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

>
> (Back in 1970, by that really fit Palestinian woman, that's when, but she was the exception to several rules.)

Jeez. (And this is without looking it up, honest) Leila Khalid, I'm almost sure. Just goes to show the effect a fit woman with an automatic weapon could have on an impressionable teenager if I've remembered it 40 years later. All your schoolboy fantasies in one package.

Rubbishy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It could almost be based on the real 3 stooges

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXyoNUwyNl0
 JJL 22 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> bleet

> being a thick Mick.

Doghouse 22 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance:
>
> [...]
>
> can you give some links please. Since the only reference i can see is in a telegraph article commenting on the fact one of the plotters used the phrase.

F*cking hell!! does it matter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...