UKC

Need help - mental health clinicians/academics to peer review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Cantrell 22 Feb 2013
Hi,

I've been struggling for a few weeks now to find 3 peer reviewers for my research proposal, taking community mental health patients climbing to increase engagement. I've got 1, indirectly through this site.

I can't offer any money or much incentive at all really. Looking for a handout.

It seems Peer Reviewers need to have relevant experience within the last 5 years. I guess that means of climbing and mental healthcare but not necessarily at the same time, just so you can judge the risks. I think more senior persons or published researchers are more likely to be accepted. Also cannot be currently working at SLaM, IOP or Imperial College.

If you are kind enough to help please reply here or drop me an email.

This is a non-commercial project by the way (in fact I'm funding most of the project). So please don't delete the post!

- Andy
 SAF 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Cantrell:

Maybe try contacting Rebecca Williams www.smartclimbing.co.uk she is a consultant clinical psychologist and climbing instructor... no idea about her history regarding published work etc, but she seemed really approachable when I met her through a friend.
 webbo 22 Feb 2013
I used to work in a Menta;l Heath Team ( CPN )and I ran a group at my local climbing wall Rockcity Hull several years ago. We were offered several free sessions after I approached the owner ( a friend )We then put together a joint proposal to secure funding from various charities.
The instruction was provided by the wall and the Mental Health support by myself and collegues.
The proposal was for session a week for 12 months but by the time it came through we only had 6 months to use it and i could not justify 2 session a week for my workload. So I gave a session to our trusts young peoples first episode psychosis team. They secure further funding and a couple of service users achieved the climbing centers instructors award.
There was a couple of outdoor days as well. But like most things in Mental Health social inclusion dropped off the political things to acieve and funding became too hard to find.
We didn't get the outcomes of this project researched but we had a privious sports group evaluated and I might still have a copy of this somewhere if its any use. Its quite old.

In reply to SAF:

Thank you, I have dropped her an email
In reply to webbo:

Hi. If you were a CPN in the last 5 years would you be willing to peer-review? The R&D office seem to keep acceptable reviewer criteria top secret but it you're willing I will ask them. There's a one-side form I can email you, just for contact details and summary of experience

Would be good to see the evaluation report if it's easy to get hold of. The literature is pretty sparse in this area
 webbo 22 Feb 2013
I am still technically a CPN. I am currently seconded to our Payments by results team as the Mental Health Clustering tool Trainer. Which is part of Nursing Policy and Practice in our trust.
Yes I would be happy to review.
In reply to webbo:

Thanks, yhm
Steph-in-the-West 22 Feb 2013
Where in the country are you?
 BrainoverBrawn 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Cantrell: I can't see this being about research honestly, you'd need a secret lab and no jo public around. It's similar to most activities surely, a good idea, limited by observing safety and 'duty of care'.
Andy Cantrell 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Steph-in-the-West:

South London
 marsbar 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Cantrell: I can't help directly, but I want to wish you luck, its a great idea and I hope you get the help you need.
Steph-in-the-West 24 Feb 2013
Too far from me then....
 abr1966 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Cantrell: yhm
Andy Cantrell 24 Feb 2013
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks
Jim C 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Cantrell: there is a psychiatrist in our mountaineering club.

Not sure if she has got time/. Inclination to do this though
(she is currently looking into sewerage systems and grants for a new club hut. )

Let me know if you are stuck and I will ask.
 gribble 25 Feb 2013

Hello. I might be able to. I'm a child therapist in CAMHS and also a climbing instructor (both for many years now), and I have crossed them over on occasion. Is it specificaly adult work you are looking for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...