UKC

university mountaineering clubs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mim tiller 22 Feb 2013
does anyone know which scottish universities have the most active mountaineering clubs?
 Andy Hardy 22 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:
If this post is about choosing a uni to go to, may I offer the following advice, based on (hard won) experience: find a Uni in a flat place, a long way from the hills. That way you stand a fighting chance of completing your degree, unlike yours truly.

Fat Bumbly2 22 Feb 2013
In reply to 999thAndy: I know about a uni club who are pretty good at bothy squatting.
 Rachel Slater 22 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

I went climbing 46% of the year in the third year of uni and managed to still get a first. In my first year lots of third years in our club always complained that they had no time to climb because of uni work but I found out for myself that there definetely is if you prioritise and dont just waste time procrastinating etc.
 Muel 22 Feb 2013
In reply to r fizzle:
> (In reply to Timothy Miller)
>
> I went climbing 46% of the year in the third year of uni and managed to still get a first. In my first year lots of third years in our club always complained that they had no time to climb because of uni work but I found out for myself that there definetely is if you prioritise and dont just waste time procrastinating etc.

Easier said than done! I'm in third year at the moment, viewing uni as the biggest mistake of my life so far and ending up climbing into a bottle way too often...

Hopefully I'll still get a first, but I won't be happy doing it.
 David Barratt 22 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: Dundee. no doubt. very active club. trips EVERY weekend and climbing&pub EVERY wednesday. Great bunch of folk. the club is 90 years old this year (yes, older than the uni...) and generally has 150 members each year, not on every trip!!
 Jack B 22 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

There are very active clubs I know of personally at St Andrews[1], Edinburgh[2], Dundee[3], Glasgow[4] and Abberdeen[5]. I would be amazed if any Scottish uni didn't have a busy club, many have two, one a mountaineering or climbing club, the other a hillwalking one.
The clubs are different of course, some are all about rock climbing, some like their ice, some have a mix of all disciplines. Some are well behaved, some are alcohol soaked disasters that give the rest of us a bad name.
All clubs change with time too, as people join and leave, so what is a lively club now might not be so much so in a years time.

Assuming you're doing something worthwhile like a science degree[*], pick a subject, and apply to a couple of different unis with a spread of typical offers around what you think you'll get. Then start visiting them to decide where you're spending the next 4 years of your life.

[1] http://www.staumc.co.uk/
[2] http://eumc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/
[3] http://www.durc.org.uk/
[4] http://www.gumclub.co.uk/
[5] http://www.abdn.ac.uk/student_societies/lairig/
[*] what? Me? Trolling? Never.
In reply to David Barratt: (It's called Dundee University rucksack club) that's the founders choice not the members! And if you're choosing a uni, I can also highly recomend Dundee. It's voted No. 1 for student experience for a reason.
OP mim tiller 22 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: cheers guys, which unies do good trips abroad like the alps and stuff?
In reply to mim tiller: Dundee don't do any formal trips but folk from the club go.
OP mim tiller 22 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: omg i just found a quote from you on the dundee uni website!
In reply to 999thAndy:
> If this post is about choosing a uni to go to, may I offer the following advice, based on (hard won) experience: find a Uni in a flat place, a long way from the hills. That way you stand a fighting chance of completing your degree, unlike yours truly.

Lol, I'm afraid (based on hard won experience) that's utterly useless advice. I did exactly what you suggested and I still went climbing loads and completely failed to ever get my MEng!
 David Barratt 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: Haha, nice.
 itsThere 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: Every scottish uni will tell you it has the most active club in the uk. You cant get more active than trips away every weekend, like all the scottish uni's.
In reply to David Barratt: No bias there AT ALL David... :P
 hexcentric 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Would that be the EUMC by chance
 Fat Bumbly2 01 Mar 2013
In reply to hexcentric: Sadly yes - dropped a size 11 ballock with a takeover recently.

Immortal lines - "Undoubtedly had the weather been bad (which it wasn't and perfectly fine for camping) they would not have been turned away. Besides, as you already claimed, there were too many people in the bothy."

From the Yummick website. Would never have happened in my day (TM) grumble grumble.
 BarmyAlex118 01 Mar 2013
In reply to mim tiller: GUM CLUB!!!
I go to Cumbria uni at the moment but my Gf is part of the glasgow uni club and they are very active and have a great network of members too.

Hell
they let me come along on some of there trips too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...