UKC

Story of Music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 23 Feb 2013
Just been catching up with episodes 1-4 on iplayer. I think it's brilliant! Looking forward to tonight's episode on Stravinsky, Schoenberg et al.
OP bpmclimb 24 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Ah, ok ... just me then
Andrew Murray 24 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Not just you; it's great. The Sound And The Fury is equally brilliant.
 Doug Hughes 24 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Not just you, the wife and I love it as well. All the more so as there's quite a lot we disagree with, so we get very good value out of it - one hour's programme, 2 hours discussing afterwards. He didn't seem to like Mozart and Haydn very much, and I found his views on Wagner somewhat weird, being mostly based on a misunderstanding of one opera (Parsifal) while ignoring all the others. But as I say, the rather provocative approach is part of the fun, and I thought the episode on the Baroque was just brilliant.
 pamph 25 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Um, no you are not alone......my wife watches it when I am off-shore, I'm afraid!
 The Pylon King 25 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

Has it got Psychedelica, Punk, New Wave and Funk in it?
 JCurrie 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
Think this is a repeat of a series from a while ago so yes, definitely has funk in the last one.
Jase
 icnoble 26 Feb 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: I watched the first episode ,ast night on iplayer and I thought it was brilliant. Early music is one of my favourite genres of classical music and this programme is one of the best I have seen on the subject.
OP bpmclimb 03 Mar 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to bpmclimb)
>
> Has it got Psychedelica, Punk, New Wave and Funk in it?

You'll get a brief mention of one of those if you're lucky. We're talking the whole history of music here. Getting all three would be like a history of all life on earth in which you got ten minutes on sub-species of gerbil.
 Postmanpat 04 Mar 2013
In reply to JCurrie:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies)
> Think this is a repeat of a series from a while ago so yes, definitely has funk in the last one.
> Jase

I don't think this series is a repeat. You are probably referring to his excellent series "How music works" (2006).
But he is keen to embrace modern music styles as part of the mainstream so I would guess they will be included in the current series.

The Pylon King 04 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
> [...]
>
> You'll get a brief mention of one of those if you're lucky. We're talking the whole history of music here. Getting all three would be like a history of all life on earth in which you got ten minutes on sub-species of gerbil.

Pah!!, shit programme then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...