UKC

Badgers in Parsley Fern Gully?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KASP82 23 Feb 2013
We found a dead badger in Parsley Fern gully today any ideas?
OP KASP82 23 Feb 2013
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152578149335648&set=a.1015030...

Follow link to see the pic if you don't believe me.

Bump
 DaveHK 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

Your link doesn't work, perhaps because your photos are set as 'friends only'.

I remember reading a story, I think in an SMC Journal, about a badger falling out of Green Gully (or was it Comb Gully?) on The Ben then turning around and going back up it.

I assumed it was a piss take.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:
> We found a dead badger in Parsley Fern gully today any ideas?

What, for a recipe?
 John Lyall 23 Feb 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I remember hearing that story, from Mick Tighe I think. It came out of one of the Coire Na Ciste gullies, and headed straight back up, never to be seen again. Now we know what happened to it !
 Trangia 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

Looks like a Yeti to me
 Dan Lane 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

You really wern't joking! (I'm the guy who came up PFG LH behind you.)
OP KASP82 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: it scared the crap out of me!
OP KASP82 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker: badger hock is ment to be an aquired taste
 Martin Wing 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82: i think it scared me more when you said you had found a body!
OP KASP82 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin Wing: bump
 ericinbristol 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

Years back I climbed with someone who was doing a Scottish gully in winter and was nearly killed by a deer falling down it as he was going up. I know it sounds apocryphal but I'm sure the guy was genuine (believe it or not I can't remember who it was).
 deepstar 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82: I rescued a live(p*ssed off)Badger from Eden Crack in Cheddar Gorge once,phew wiffy!
 Lucy Wallace 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82: Wow. I'm quite amazed. I found some badger prints on Beinn Nuis, Isle of Arran in summer at about 750m. I didn't believe myself so sent a pic of them to The Mammal Society without a location and they backed up my id. The same organisation would definitely be interested in your record!
 sbc_10 23 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

Is that snow lump behind the late badger avalanche debris ?
Has it been caught up in a slide ?
 Martin Wing 24 Feb 2013
In reply to sbc_10: There was lots if avalanche debris all down the gully. We thought the badger either came down with it or was already buried and uncovered by it?
 sbc_10 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:
It seems strange to imagine a badger living and surviving for long in that habitat, especially under Winter conditions. Then again, it is related to the Wolverine and these tough little buggers eke out their lives in Arctic tundra.
 philhilo 24 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82: Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the photo. Perplexed as to what a badger would be doing up there, hardly deep soil and woodland!
 roddyp 24 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

It wasn't listening to that Dorothy-Grace Elder, obviously.

And see this: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1723
 Andy Nisbet 24 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

I've seen a badger on Ben Alder in winter well above 3000ft. There was complete snow cover but it seemed quite happy (not that I got near)
 Dave Hewitt 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> I've seen a badger on Ben Alder in winter well above 3000ft.

I once watched a grey squirrel cross the col between Coniston Old Man and Brim Fell at about 750m, heading from the Duddon to Coppermines.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 25 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82: I think it was a case of the first badger released avalanche.
mountain monster 25 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:
Saw the badger on Saturday. I wondered if it was the cause of the avalanche.
On a separate tack, does the ice climb from the upper to the lower cwm have a name?
Sean Toms 26 Feb 2013
In reply to KASP82:

Once saw a fox run out of the summit shelter on ben nevis in 1991 after doing Tower Ridge.

What either animal expect to eat in either places is a wonder.

DerwentDiluted 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Sean Toms:
> (In reply to KASP82)
>
> Once saw a fox run out of the summit shelter on ben nevis in 1991 after doing Tower Ridge.
>
Impressive that a fox did Tower Ridge!

jon 26 Feb 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
> (In reply to Sean Toms)
> [...]
> Impressive that a fox did Tower Ridge!

Hmmm, well I've seen fox tracks on the summit of the Zinal Rothorn. It had either come up the Arbengrat, the ArĂȘte du Coeur or the Voie Normale. I say this as frankly I think the North Face would be beyond a fox.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...