UKC

Narcissism in climbing research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lantys Tarn 24 Feb 2013
Just out of interest I'm wondering if anybody knows of any research which has taken place with regards to a possible link between narcissism and climbing and if they could point me in the right direction / link an article?

Cheers
abseil 24 Feb 2013
OP Lantys Tarn 24 Feb 2013
In reply to abseil:

Thanks!

I had mainly been using the library at uni's resources, I had been on google but not scholar, much more useful links their.

Thanks for the link
abseil 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

You're very welcome, and good luck with your research.

Sometimes when the journal [or other] link shown by Google scholar cannot be opened, or has to be paid for, it can be accessed for nothing through a university system... so looking at both works well.
 Damo 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

There's a few books that take a real shot at explaining psychological explanations for climbing, such as Phil Bartlett's 'The Undiscovered Country', which is worth a read.

There used to be (very) occasional articles in some of the *older* Alpine Journals that touched on simlar topics and the occasional magazine article, from Mountain etc. I don't know any that specifically dwelt on narcissism above all others, they tended to be more general.

There was an interesting one in Mountain in the 80s that got all the then-top 8000m climbers together (Messner, Kukukcza, Loretan, Rudi) and did lab physiology tests, that proved/showed very little outstanding, but did touch on common outstanding psychological traits (persistence, self-belief etc).
In reply to Lantys Tarn:
What observations led you to coin the hypothesis that narcissism an climbing could be linked?
OP Lantys Tarn 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sir Stefan:

In other sports and everyday life apparently narcissism is becoming a more common personality trait due to social networking etc and other factors according to my supervisor, their's been very little looked at it in climbing (specifically the study will look at high risk sports such as skydiving, sailing, alpine skiing and kayaking etc, not just climbing). I originally wanted to do the study just looking at high risk sport but it was my supervisor who suggested adding in narcissism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...