UKC

gear4rocks trad gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lantys Tarn 24 Feb 2013
http://shop.gear4rocks.com/

Just wondering if people would be happy to use this gear? not sure if it seems suspect or if its fine, it looks fine to me but as i've only lead one route on a mates gear thought it would be best to ask before buying...
 stevedude888 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: No.
 ericinbristol 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

Lots of previous UKC threads on this: quick search will get you lots of info. There is some disagreement (surprise surprise)
 deacondeacon 24 Feb 2013
In reply to matt_doran:
That review is terrible.
In reply to Lantys Tarn: I'd rather make my own gear out of plasicine and bent coat hangers. So, no.
 goose299 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:
Would rather shave my balls with a rusty knife that use the gear4rocks gear
 duchessofmalfi 24 Feb 2013
That ice axe tool tells you all you need to know...
 ablackett 24 Feb 2013
In reply to benka: I love that axe "all the characteristics of an ice axe". I guess you could say the same thing about a bent fork.
 deepsoup 24 Feb 2013
In reply to ericinbristol:
> There is some disagreement (surprise surprise)

There's always a *bit* of disagreement, but by UCK standards there's a pretty clear consensus isn't there? (ie: avoid)
In reply to deepsoup:

Nope
e.g. threads quoting this positive review
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/climbing_gear_reviews/gear4rocks_links_cam...
e.g.
'This topic comes up at very regular intervals, but I'll give you a quick summary to save you from doing a search: - There is a very strong consensus among the people who have never used (or even seen) the gear that that it's crap, and you're gonna die horribly if you fall on it. - Among the people who HAVE used it (see links below), most agree that it's not as nice and polished as the more expensive brands, but perfectly functional.'

JJL 24 Feb 2013

So, in the TWO reviews cited, G4R cams have had an "isolated fault" on BOTH occasions.

And you think this second review supports the case for G4R?

Just checking.
In reply to JJL:

UKC argumentativeness bores the crap out of me, so I won't be engaging further with this.
 JJL 24 Feb 2013

GREAT! Thanks for letting us know
 Paul Hy 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: Actaully i don't think they're that cheap for what you get. A deal from Joe Brown for Dragons or 4CU's makes more sense to me, better quality, easy action, better triggers = piece of mind. as at the end of the day it's your life.
 Redsetter 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: DO NOT buy or use this gear, if your value your's or your partners life !
 MartinPL 25 Feb 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

You might laugh from this ice axe, but even this year on Ice climbing world cup in Busceni, Russian climber won a comp using this (or similar) ice axes

http://wspinanie.pl/serwis/201302/11lodowy-ps2013-busteni-pawel-batuszew.jp...
 Timmd 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

http://www.mountainproject.com/images/76/16/107187616_large_163515.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOOK AT THIS PICTURE!!!

lcb
andic 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Possibly hot shortness in the forging step, perhaps their bar stock was off spec? I hope there was a recall like DMM did.
 jkarran 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Interesting. Who made that? It looks like they've maybe (poorly) cast sheets of ali then punched the lobes out of them. Seems like a rather odd choice and the result is (thankfully since you'd clearly just bin it) ghastly!

OP: Personally I'd save the pennies for some nice British made gear, if you get it on special offer the prices are at least comparable, the consistency of quality and finish is totally incomparable. Your gear is a long term investment, it makes sense to spend a little more but only spend it once.

jk
 MartinPL 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

I'v been thought to buy this ukrainian stuff, but finally (thanks god) bought two sets of dragons. Cost me about 30 pounds per cam in Foundry one day, they had a nice discount then but if I would choose again, even for normal price, so I would choose again fully tested, good brand stuff like dragons lub c4. If you will buy ukrainian, non atested shit, you may save few pounds, but then loose a lot of money or even health or life. Consider it.
OP Lantys Tarn 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't thinking of buying the ice axe as it just looks comical, was more looking at the krabs / cams / nuts! Thanks for all the advice!
 ezzpbee 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd: nice picture, I thought cams were meant to go into the cracks
Nacho-Shep 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:
I hate to continue this debate further, but . . . . Having just looked at their ice screws and realising I could buy a set of 3 100ml ice screws for £36, what are peoples thoughts on this? I am quite new to winter and thoughts like "its best not to fall off in winter" and "there only as good as the ice that there placed in" are making me lean towards spending £12 each on the screws, though I would never buy any of their trad stuff! Opinions?
Nick Barnard 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nacho-Shep:

I have some of the ice screws on order - haven't received them yet and they shipped 15 Jan, so if you order any factor VERY long lead times into the equation. To be fair on G4R they do state that orders can take up to a month to materialise and my experience of ordering other stuff from Eastern Bloc countries has been roughly similar.
 jimtitt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nacho-Shep:
I don´t have any opinion since I don´t go ice climbing but someone on Mountain Project bought some and has.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/gear4rocks-ice-screws/108005691
 jshields 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Nacho-Shep: They look awful, can't imagine they are quick to place hanging off one arm!
jon
 Reach>Talent 26 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
That is a bit of a frightener, if turning them causes the hanger to deform I'd hate to see what happens if you took a whipper onto one.

I did spot a small chain saw on their site that looks like it would be handy for crag clean ups but looking at the quality of their metal work I'd probably be better off using a bit of glass coated kite line!
 Reach>Talent 26 Feb 2013
In reply to jshields:
They look awful, can't imagine they are quick to place hanging off one arm!

They look like the hangers would make a fast mess of your gloves if you tried to wind them in with your palm.

EeeByGum 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: I have bought a couple of these from a dodgy bloke selling them at the campsite in Ailefroide. They are ok. Had a few falls without much problem.
Nick Barnard 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Nick Barnard:
> (In reply to Nacho-Shep)
>
> I have some of the ice screws on order

Just a quick update to say they've arrived. Shipped 15 Jan and only just got here - 43 days, so pretty damn slow!

Quality wise I've nothing to compare them to, can't see any obvious flaws through a visual inspection.
 Landy_Dom 02 Mar 2013
In reply to matt_doran:

I presume everyone has read all the way to the bottom of all the comments? Makes very interesting reading...
 JJL 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Landy_Dom:

Bloody hell. What HAVE they done to that camalot? Jammed in misaligned to fall angle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...