UKC

Thanks re Zero Gully advice route climbed Friday 22nd Feb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sean Toms 25 Feb 2013
Hi

A couple of weeks ago I asked for some advice from those who had actually climbed Zero Gully. I kindly received lots of good stuff , you know who you are.

This post is to thank all you contributors as on Friday 22nd Feb myself & a partner climbed the route in fantastic conditions , styrofoam snow & hard ice , blue sky & a cloud inversion on reaching the summit.

For all those yet to do it pick the right conditions & the route is a safe one.

We had 6+ good ice screws on pitch one ( we climbed on 60m ropes ) , a good double ice screw belay at top of pitch one plus axes , similar number of screws on pitch 2 again with a good screw belays at belay 2.

Pitches 3 , 4 & 5 we got rock runners & / or rock belays( or could have if the team above had not got to some of them first ! ) but we also took two deadmen ( a good decision ) & placed one as a runner on the easy ground & used one plus two more screws at belay 5.

So good was the snow & ice apart from a sugary 50 metres just below the cornice that after the team above had cleared we decided to move together for pitches 6 & 7 , still getting in the occasional screw in.

In summary - a fantastic route & less busy than the frenetic Orion Face which was festooned with teams & also looked a little thinner although still good.

How long did it take ? we left the dam car park at 6.45am started the route proper after a 20 mins wait for a team above at about 9.00am ( it was -7c on the CIC hut thermometer ) & we were on the summit by 2.00pm & back to dam car park after going down the Red Burn & Half Way Lochan descent by 5.00pm.

Cheers for all the advice !

Sean Toms

In reply to Sean Toms: Great Info sounds like u got it bang in condition hoping to finally do it Friday if its still in good nic.
 Simon Yearsley 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sean Toms: Nice post - it's always good when folk say 'thanks' for the advice. Sounds like you had an awesome day, and really pleased you enjoyed yourselves so much!
 Exile 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sean Toms:

Glad you had a good one - makes me want to o it again!
 Ron Walker 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sean Toms:

Forget the grades but choose good snow and ice conditions and it's a dream but make bad choices and it's a nightmare!

Yes that's real winter and alpine climbing...

Glad you enjoyed it

Cheers Ron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...