UKC

Ben Lui Incident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droberts 25 Feb 2013
Just a quick post concerning an incident on Ben Lui on Saturday (23rd). Me and my brother were climbing central gully along with several other pairs on the gully. A lady slipped above us and fell straight past us nearly hitting us both and dissapeared into the mist. Her partner climbed down, as the rest of us went on ahead to safety, as the mountain rescue were called. Around an hour later when the mist had cleared we saw the mountain rescue helicopter dealing with a situation in the gully.

We are both concerned about how the lady is doing or what happened after, assuming she is ok as there are no news articles etc for this date. If anybody has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated as we are both keen to know if she is ok.
In reply to droberts:

um... you didnt go down and offer to provide assistance...?
 ScraggyGoat 25 Feb 2013
While many of us would have gone down, if i ever were to fall on such terrain, I would not expect those that were unconfident of reversing the slope to do so. We know nothing of the OP's experience or background to start questioning.

Hope the lady concerned makes a full recovery and the OP hears some good news to put his mind at rest.
 Brev 25 Feb 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I was in the gully at the same time as the OP and started climbing down after the woman had fallen past us to see if there was anything I could do to help. A few seconds later we heard people shouting that she was okay, so while her partner went down to get to her, everyone else who was already quite far up the gully (including myself and the OP) continued to the top.

Anyway, I spoke to some guys in the car park later that day who said they were near where she came to a stop and attended to her. They said she was bruised and possibly a foot/ankle injury which would explain the MR helicopter. However, that's just what they told me, so not sure how accurate that is. Would be good to get a confirmation that she's doing okay though!
In reply to Brev:

fair play, sounds like the right call, as noted going down could be hazardous too. hope all those involved are ok; having been present at an accident at stanage a couple of years back, on clearly much less serious ground, it was a sobering experience...

Nick_Scots 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Andy Say: Although it's 'only grade 1' if you fall or slip it's a long long way down and very exposed. Not many folk rope up. It is also bomber neve everywhere so not much braking possible.

Craigie17 25 Feb 2013
In reply to droberts:

It was my climbing partner who fell. She is battered and bruised, has badly sprained both her ankles and was very shaken, but other than that is fine. She was ready to leave hospital by the time I got to Fort William.

Many, many thanks to all who gave and offered assistance, to Killin MRT and RAF137, and especially to those who reached her first. It was all very much appreciated. As mentioned above, a very sobering experience and not one either of us will soon forget.

Thanks again
 Brev 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Craigie17:

Glad to hear she's doing (relatively) okay considering how far she fell. Wishing her a speedy recovery!
OP droberts 26 Feb 2013
In reply to droberts: Thanks for the update, and we are relieved she is alive and well, and hope she has a good speedy recovery
 Nick_Scots 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Craigie17:

Hopefully she will be up in the hills as injuries heal and she is not put off climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...