UKC

Going rate for ML work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 emc110502 26 Feb 2013
Hi, I have just landed my first paid work using my ML award and will be helping with a D of E group on their Silver assessment over 3 days.
The people organising the group have asked what my daily rate is, I have found out what a mate charges, but just wanted to get some more feedback on what is fair/reasonable. It is OK to send me a PM if you do not want to post the rate on here, thanks in advance, Ewan
 girlymonkey 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502: It might depend where you are, but around £120 per day seems about normal for me. Its goes down though when I am away with longer trips as food and accomodation is provided for me in longer trips.
 Banned User 77 26 Feb 2013
In reply to girlymonkey: Depends.. contract work can be as low as £85.. I'd say 120 is pretty good for basic ML work if just picking up contracted days.
 JayPee630 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Agreed, have been offered £85 (which I turn down) so £120 is pretty good I'd say.
OP emc110502 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502: Thanks people, my mate said £120 and he has worked for this client before, so will go back with that to them, cheers, Ewan
 innesmac 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502:

Firstly well done on landing your first paid gig using your ML!!

I pay my guys for £110 for this type of work. BUt rates vary depedning on the day, requirments, group etc
 jezb1 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502: I wouldn't work for £85...

D of E work will normally be between £100 - £125 (usually extra for overnights for me).

My best regular D of E client pays £150 for ML's.
 peas65 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502:

£ 130 per day inc some overnight is best i have had for d of e, other wise £85 per day plus nighttime rate.

In reply to jezb1:
> (In reply to emc110502) I wouldn't work for £85...
>

Neither would I..

But that's what centres like Camre Cymru paid, at least til a few years ago.

In a way I do think a standard daily rate is advisable, maybe something the MLTA should push, at the moment part timers are willing to charge much less to get work, which puts the full timers under pressure.

If people like me have jobs that pay £30k a year we can live comfortably and use ML work for beer money and easily afford to charge £70-£80.. but I don't think that's on personally.

droites 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK: As a full time freelance instructor I average £100/day. A bit higher if I'm working on an ML. So many centres pay less just because they can with so many instructors around. So many people have full time normal jobs and use their ML's etc as 'pocket money'. I agree it's not on. Hard enough to make a living!!! Sorry rant over.
 JayPee630 26 Feb 2013
In reply to droites:

Agree, people that work for less than a decent rate are messing it up. We need a union - but a good one - then hopefully people wouldn't work for less than the agreed daily rate and if they did they would be scabbing.
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to droites)
>
> Agree, people that work for less than a decent rate are messing it up. We need a union - but a good one - then hopefully people wouldn't work for less than the agreed daily rate and if they did they would be scabbing.

I totally agree.. I get quite annoyed when I see what people charge for pocket money..

People like me can do it cheaply because we enjoy it and don't need the money.. but its just not fair on the full timers. I actually expected a rant for my post not agreements.. pleasantly surprised..
 Dax H 26 Feb 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to droites)
>
> Agree, people that work for less than a decent rate are messing it up. We need a union - but a good one - then hopefully people wouldn't work for less than the agreed daily rate and if they did they would be scabbing.

Would that not be price fixing?
 Crofty 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Agree too, my work (as a lot of people in the outdoor industry) is so piecemeal, I am still tax exempt, so needs to be a reasonable rate. I also do some bits of climbing work which carries a certain degree of responsibility and that needs to be reflected in a fair hourly or daily rate, esp when the buck stops with you if it goes t**s up.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to JayPee630)
> [...]
>
> I totally agree.. I get quite annoyed when I see what people charge for pocket money..
>
> People like me can do it cheaply because we enjoy it and don't need the money.. but its just not fair on the full timers. I actually expected a rant for my post not agreements.. pleasantly surprised..

Early days yet Iain....!

jezb1 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502: Call it price fixing if you like, but I've worked too hard over the years to be in a position to make a career of freelancing to undersell my skills.

Thankfully these days I don't need to accept cheap work. But when people start accepting £85 a day, even higher qualified people like MI's, it makes it much harder.
 peas65 26 Feb 2013
In reply to emc110502:

Dont think i made my post clear, normally earn £130 per day, I think it depends on the activity for example an easy days ghyll scrambling working 10-3.30 ish, £90 keeps me happy but for Mountain work which is more demanding i would want more.

In reply to jezb1:

But if you call it that, you might be breaking the law... In my area, the union setting rates for work has been ruled unlawful, so everyone has to set their own rates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...