/ Doorpost bosigran in february or 7a indoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rurp - on 26 Feb 2013
Just done my first outdoor climb of 2013. Also first 7a in my life.

2 degrees in the car park at Bosigran, bit of a breeze up. Snow flurries. Wet traverse, numb hands gloves or not.

Which one was harder
Tom Last - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp:

Err, the 7a?

Doorpost is piss after all.

I expect you're going to say Doorpost though...?
Tom Last - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Southern Man:

Forgot to add the smiley ;)
Skip - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp:
I'll go for the 7a being the hardest.

1st pitch of Doorpost is often wet.
rurp - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Southern Man: Exactly, indoor routes are easy once you have done them.

Trad climbs in typical england conditions are desperate before during and after.
Kafoozalem - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp:

> Trad climbs in typical england conditions are desperate before during and after.

Only if you are scared. Try relaxing :-)

rurp - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
fear is a minor factor, last outdoor trad lead was October, but I could rationalise it was well protected.

The main factors though are climbing in 10 layers, gloves, numb hands and wet rock, bring on the spring!

Kafoozalem - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp:

OK I admit I was climbing down there around the same time and we were pinned back to HS from our usual E grades.
rurp - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem: Exactly the point. In this day and age there should be a temperature/windchill/wetness adjusted grade. I propose....

Doorpost HS, sunkissed granite and 15 degrees.

VS in gloves

HVS below 5 degrees wearing so many layers your harness doesn't fit.

7a+/E4 below 2 degrees, wind , snow, gloves, layers, wet, verglass any other excuses you can think of etc

Bulls Crack - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp:
> (In reply to Southern Man) Exactly, indoor routes are easy once you have done them.
>
> Trad climbs in typical england conditions are desperate before during and after.

What does that make Welsh and Scots route like then?!
ads.ukclimbing.com
David Rose - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to rurp: Doorpost only really gets hard when all the holds are covered in verglas. I think you're being a bit of a cissy, to be honest. And after all, it's non tidal. You ought to be more ambitious. Little Brown Jug in a blizzard? Now that would be a challenge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.