UKC

Salopettes or Overtrousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 26 Feb 2013
The kit noob is back!

A question- salopettes. I was wondering whether anyone could advise. Reading manufacturers websites is always misleading as they seem to assume you know what you need already.

I went Scottish Winter climbing at the weekend (and had an awesome first time in Scotland) and brought some of the cheap Regatta waterproof trousers. Similar design to a normal trouser, but baggy and waterproof, and very compact. I found it really hard to get them on over my boots and crampons and ended up leaving them off. When we were practicing ice axe arrests on steep ground, I found myself cutting my chest as the hard snow lifted up my coat and cut me.

My guide suggested getting some Salopettes as they are better in the snow.
I was just wondering whether they are better or whether I just need a different form of overtrouser? Would you use them in the UK only or do you use them all over? Any thoughts? Any type in particular I need
In reply to Stani49: Personally I prefer a softshell trouser with braces for Winter climbing. I find hard shell trousers too hot and sweaty to wear all the time. I'll normally carry some lightweight waterproof trousers in case the weather turns truely awful but I hardly ever wear them. =o)
 xplorer 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

Personally a wear waterproof sellopettes all the time when winter climbing, and on the walk ins. Full length zips means you don't have to sweat.
 davy_boy 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: softshells trousers all the way for winter with long johns underneath on cold windy days or if climbing pitches when you know you will be stood about belaying. i still like salopettes but only for piste based skiing.
 xoran 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: you might be better with some overtrousers with side zips? you can use them all year round then as opposed to having a very winter specific trouser. salopettes are great for keeping your midriff warm and as you said will help stop the stomach grind, but ideally you won't be doing all that many ice axe arrests!
 GridNorth 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: You seem to be under the impression that the two are mutually exclusive. Salopettes refers to the cut and usually means a high waist and shoulder braces. These can be either fully waterproof or soft shell and the better, more expensive makes, will include full side zips and built in gaiters. For practicing ice axe breaking on Scottish snow I would recommend the waterproof kind but personally I only wear soft shell trousers. I suppose it depends how much more practicing you will be doing. Soft shell is far more comfortable to wear.
OP Stani49 26 Feb 2013
In reply to highaltitudebarista: By softshell, do you mean like a water resistant finish trouser? Have you got any model in particular you like?
 GridNorth 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: The Simond ones from Decathlon are excellent value for money at £39.99 but they are trousers with braces rather than salopettes. I bought and used some for the first time a few weeks ago and they performed just as well as my previous Mammut ones which cost me £130 several years ago.
 Nathan Adam 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: I like putting my Salopettes on when i put my crampons and harness on just so i don't need to think about my legs for the rest of the day. Plus it helps stop you getting cold spots, although i like my softshell and leggings combo for nice weather days and for the walk in.
 bobpilgrem 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
For Scotish Winters I always wear saloppetes with thermal or merino legging underneath- always keeps me warm and dry.
Have worn soft shells in The Alps- they are more comfortable but are not fully waterproof and would not contemplate using them in Scotland.
OP Stani49 26 Feb 2013
In reply to bobpilgrem:
Thanks for the info Bob. I have contemplated using a similar system so think I may invest in some salopettes. I may be mistaken, but I think I know your son Tom!
 Banned User 77 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: Salopettes.. much less chance of a gap between trousers and jacket... especially as jacket hems seem to be higher now, which I prefer.. but when climbing, sliding around in snow.. salopetes for me..
 Roberttaylor 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: Used trousers for ages, now a convert to salopettes. I use a pair of buffalo teclite ones.
 RocKalina 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: I recently got some Paramo salopettes and I love them. I used them for ice climbing in italy and recenlty on a miced route in Scotland. I don't get too warm in them and I am never cold. This system really works for me...
 Cadairmanuk 27 Feb 2013
In reply to RocKalina: Loved my paramo sallopettes in the Cairngorms last week. Love them and wear them for winter ice or mixed climbing.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...