UKC

Boulder colorado - conditions in late May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Shamash 26 Feb 2013
Hi - have a possible family visit to Boulder in May coming up.

Does anyone know what the likely weather conditions will be at the crags within a couple of hours of Boulder (Colorado) - hope to do a few long trad routes as well as some bolts.

If you have been please recommend some crags and routes ( especially around the VS but up to UK e1 / sport 6c) .... think thats up to about 5.9/5.10 in US grades

thanks

In reply to Mike Shamash: Eldo will be ok as long as you stay out of the sun.

Likewise in Boulder Canyon you can avoid the sun but a lot of the new sport routes are rubbish
ddriver 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike Shamash: I've done tons of climbing in Eldo during the summer, but I guess its all relative to what you're accustomed to. You often have nice temps, breezes, and there is shade to be found. There are some very nice bolted lines on Boulder Mtn in the canyons behind the Flatirons, see e.g. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/flatirons/105797700

Lumpy Ridge up at Estes Park is well worth the visit, nice granite routes. Will definitely be cooler up there, but its mostly south-facing.
Mike Lewis 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike Shamash: The Yellow Spur in Eldorado is really very awesome, and gets enough shade to do in summer. E1 5c ish.
 wbo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike Shamash: The weather will almost certainly be excellent.

Some issues - it can be hard to find things in the flatirons. Finding stuff in Boulder Canyon or Eldo is easy in comparism. I haven't been there to climb for a long time, but there wasn't very much lower grade sport close to town last time I visited. Grading ran quite hard on the trad routes, but I found some of the sport grading very soft, and some of those routes were not of great quality.
OP Mike Shamash 27 Feb 2013
Thanks for the suggestions and links
- will do some more research.

Looks like there is a lot of choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...