UKC

Help attaching spring leash to axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gawyllie 26 Feb 2013
I had a go of a mates axes last week and used for the first time a spring leash and was impressed. ive been ususing normal ones up to now so have went and bought a double spring leash

the problem im now having is attaching them to my axes. having them clipped in the top (the only place they really can be that i can see) doesnt seem ideal

any thoughts?

heres a photo of my axes
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ua4ogE6zJ7c/US08hDdcz7I/AAAAAAAABXM/Q222...
 SCC 26 Feb 2013
In reply to punj:

Drill a hole in the shaft below the level of the pinky resy and thread it with cord?

If you're not bothered about the leashes holding a fall, just making sure you don't lose a dropped axe then you could gaffa tape a loop of cord to the bottom of the shaft?

Lots of details on the web of different setups people have used too.

Si
OP Gawyllie 26 Feb 2013
In reply to punj: good point, im not expecting them to take a fall. only there so i dont lose them or worry about them when im placing gear

think ill try some cord round the bottom and try them this weekend, might drill holes after if i think it would be better.

also found some smaller crabs, was trying to aviod using them as they are weak but they will easily suffice as long as they dont get used for any weight bearing more than a falling axe
 Jamie B 26 Feb 2013
In reply to punj:

With lightweight axes like that I imagine you'll just be doing easy stuff? On that kind of ground you're very unlikely to drop an axe, so probably best just do without the lanyards?
OP Gawyllie 26 Feb 2013
In reply to punj: suppose that depends on what you mean by easy stuff. i will be using (and have done) them for any climbing i'm doing so atm up to III. doubt ill get above that this winter at least

my main worry is losing them while placing gear, the leashes i have been using where making it very awkward to place gear without either taking it off or having it dangling about.

Jamie B 26 Feb 2013
In reply to punj:

Stick 'em into the snow well away from the rope, place the gear, get climbing again. Simples!
 Martin W 27 Feb 2013
In reply to punj:

> the problem im now having is attaching them to my axes. having them clipped in the top (the only place they really can be that i can see) doesnt seem ideal

If you're worried about tension in the leashes affecting the swing of the axes, you could attach the lanyard to a higher point on your person. For example, a D-ring on a rucksack shoulder strap (they almost always seem to have them, though it's never been clear to me why - this could be one practical use for the things!)

Alternatively, if you don't climb with a sack or don't have D-rings, you can use a length of webbing and a krab to create a chest-height attachment point. Needlesports used to have a page on their web site explaining how to do this but they seem to have taken it down now.

Either of these solutions would avoid you having to drill the axes (bang goes the shaft's T rating?), or duct tape stuff to the bottom of the shaft that might interfere with or get ripped off by plunging (which it sounds like you will still want to do, given the grades of climbs you are doing atm).
OP Gawyllie 27 Feb 2013
In reply to punj: cheers all

ill try a few things this weekend. using none, attaching them high and ill bring some tape/cord along
 Damo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to punj:

Sorry didn't realise you had Aztarexes. I drilled a hole in mine.

See the pics at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35445411@N07/8511968003/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35445411@N07/8513079600/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35445411@N07/8511968309/

I can't see it will affect the strength of the shaft in general. The very tip may be weakened if it was repeatedly whacked down against rock, but I have used these just on snow and ice, no mixed. I normally have stretchy self-adhering plastic tape on the shafts but it gets knicked and rips a bit so I don't have it there at the moment. I did have them rigged, with no grip tape, to slide the griprest up higher for daggering, but I've since cut the lower trigger/lever off the griprest and now just leave them down.
 Damo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Damo:

Note I have a black cable-tie at the top to clip in at the head when using on lower angle stuff. This is enough to catch the tool if I drop it, obviously will not take bodyweight.

And I know some don't recommend clipping into such a bottom hole with a biner on their springleash/tether, but it would be easy enough to put some cord through there. I haven't had a problem with the leash biner levering off but can see the possibility.
OP Gawyllie 27 Feb 2013
In reply to punj: ah fantastic! i would have quoted the name of them but didnt know it, knew it was something like that

thanks for the photos, ill see how it goes this weekend and i might well do something similar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...