UKC

milder weather and soggy clothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 7979jules 27 Feb 2013
Can anybody give me any any tips on whats a good pack away waterproof jacket for the Blightys wet spring and summer months that wont cost the earth Im getting bored of going round and round on the tinternet. Cheers
 lone 27 Feb 2013
In reply to 7979jules:

Berghaus make the Pack Lite which is expensive, but you can often find them on offer, I got mine for £130 instead of £230, they are more suited for occasional use during the day than being used all day due to they're light weight fabric, I've had mine a year and its very good, you'll need to practice layering on/off with it as you'll condensate quickly when climbing up hill, but it dries out quick enough, packs down very well to.

Jason
OP 7979jules 27 Feb 2013
In reply to lone: Cheers for that lone I have a constant high body temp which is good in winter on the coldest days usually just a thermal top,t shirt and my faithfull north face summit windstopper if its dry. But summer its just a t shirt so the wick away is a big thing we all know what its like to be warm when its raining but dont want to be wet its the joys of a British summer.
 GrahamD 27 Feb 2013
In reply to 7979jules:

Personally I find anything remotely windproof under the waterproof causes me to get much wetter on the inside (and my windproof is just a 20 year old old school nylon faced fleece so its not exactly windstopper)
 martinph78 28 Feb 2013
In reply to 7979jules:
> Im getting bored of going round and round on the tinternet.

Get yourself to a shop then. I hate shopping but made the effort for a new jacket. Glad I did, more important than fabrics and brand is fit. I was amazed how many hoods don't close properly or arms are to long/baggy etc.

Personally for warm days and the occassional shower where I know the area etc I'll be taking a light weight windproof/showerproof jacket that packs to the size of a small apple (bought for running but will be fine for teh mountains when I'm moving fast and light - ie alone!). Otherwise I like my ME Firefox jacket. Gortex active is far more breathable thean Paclite, but won't last as long (I suspect) and is more expensive.

OP 7979jules 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Cheers did I have a mountain hardwear soft shell till it lost a couple of teeth the coat was awesome and dry but I cant be arsed spending the best of 300 notes again. Im going to purchase the Marmot precip it looks like it will do the job on the hills.
 Carolyn 28 Feb 2013
In reply to 7979jules:

Yup, Marmot Precip is a perfectly serviceable option for a pack away jacket - maybe not as breathable as some (I really don't know, I've never found the theoretical differences terribly relevant in practice), but packs small. I imagine how long it lasts depends on what you do with it - mine is largely carried on days when I don't expect to need it, but is well over 10 years old. Equally, it coped fine with a trip up one of the big Pyrenean peaks in a blizzard when the weather was distinctly more wintery than forecast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...