UKC

Winterbourne Down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 27 Feb 2013
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has any updates on this spot near Bristol?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=563

No updates on its page since october '11 so I was interested if anyone knows anything about the current state of the place and access issues etc?
pasbury 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

I've not been for a year or so but there were no problems then - you approach from the west on paths by the river.

I'd guess it's probably dryish after this dry spell. I'd be interested to hear how you find it.
OP Steve nevers 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: I'm looking at popping up there and scouting it out, gives me an excuse to finally get around to fixing my bike up as well! I'll do a report back in this thread and comment the crag page if i get any updated info regarding condition and access.

Does anyone happen to have any more info on the established routes/problems up there at all? Would be appreciated.
 Monk 27 Feb 2013

I'm not aware of any access issues, but keep a low profile and keep the noise down - you are clearly visible from the locals' gardens and back windows about 20m away (and even more so in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees).

I've not been all winter as it has been so wet, but it can get very green and isn't particularly quick drying. If you are nearby and have time to spare, it's a nice walk-in but you are not guaranteed to find it in condition. Having said that, I've seen from your logbook that you've been to the Ringroad boulders recently. If they were in OK condition then Winterbourne should be as well.
OP Steve nevers 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Thanks for your reply Monk, I'm fully with you on the respect issues, we don't need one shouty idiot ruining what looks like a nice spot for the rest of us. I'm a bit of an ex-hippy so i tend to operate on a respect the locals and leave no trace policy.

The ringroads on my wishlist rather than my logbook, (to be honest my logbooks kinda far to empty at the moment!) was planning to check them out for seepage etc on the same trip up to Winterbourne as a little reccy on the state of them before getting a handful of people up there for a session, the crag info for all of them on here seem to have gotten a little dusty was i've been curious if the crags themselves are also gathering dust!
 Monk 27 Feb 2013

>
> The ringroads on my wishlist rather than my logbook, (

I must learn to read properly!

I've not been to the ringroad boulders for a while either, as last time I went they were a soppping wet mess of green. It's been a bad winter for dry rock. As I said though, it's a nice walk up the Froome Valley so even if you don't find the rock in condition you won't have totally wasted your day. One tip for Winterbourne - walk further than you think. The rocks are basically as far as you can go along the riverside.
If it's route identification you're after, try this:
http://www.wikitopo.com/crag.php?cragId=298

I'd guess that winterbourne's potentially a little more open to drying winds/sun than ring road boulders, although they're both a bit dank...

OP Steve nevers 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: despite the past couple of days of sun i haven't had a chance to get up there and have a reccy yet. Next decent bit of weather i'll have a look.
OP Steve nevers 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: Got a few folk together to get this cleaned up a bit.
 thomasadixon 27 Mar 2013

Not sure if you're saying you've been yet, but if you haven't it might be worth taking a saw with you. There were dead trees on the top of the crag hanging over it at the start of this month, one at the top of A Scary Tune and one at the top of Pigbag (pretty big this one). There was also a pile of cut branches/trees at the bottom though so someone might be taking care of this already, perhaps the landowner? Other than that it was in it's usual state pretty much and surprisingly dry given the time of year.

Just letting you know. Also, not sure if I'll have time at the mo but if you let me know when I'd lend a hand if needed and I can.

P.S. If you do get it cleaned up, thanks!
OP Steve nevers 27 Mar 2013
In reply to thomasadixon:

Anyones welcome to help!

Thanks for the heads up, was thinking about trying to contact the land owner as it goes, the ifo on the page on here hasn't been updated for a while so i was pondering about access issues. Not sure about cutting any stumps down due to the proximity of the houses, keeping them happy would be for the best imo.

I'd also be up for get involved in cleaning up any another local spots that have gotten a bit furryif you ever need a hand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...