UKC

Cleaning Colour Transparencies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 27 Feb 2013
I've got a large number of 35mm transparencies, some of which have got quite a bit of muck(mould etc) on them. I've brushed them with a soft dry brush and tried alcohol with a cotton bud but without too much success. Tonight, however I tried a solution of warm water and liquid hand soap and was quite pleased with the results.

Anyone know if this is an accepted method?
interdit 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> I've got a large number of 35mm transparencies, some of which have got quite a bit of muck(mould etc) on them. I've brushed them with a soft dry brush and tried alcohol with a cotton bud but without too much success. Tonight, however I tried a solution of warm water and liquid hand soap and was quite pleased with the results.
>
> Anyone know if this is an accepted method?

No it's not.
In the sense that anyone cleaning negs or slides commercially prior to scanning etc would not use a chemical mixture for which they didn't have ready answers to a few questions such as...

Any idea how many and what additive chemicals are in this liquid hand 'soap'?

Any idea if any of these chemicals cause emulsion to become brittle in the long term.

Are there any compounds in the soap that will cause bleaching in the pigment in the slide - and therefore fading.

Is the pH of the soap mixture compatible with the slide substrate.

etc. etc.

You may get a few people come along and tell you to try it on one (low value) slide and see if there is a problem, but that won't tell you if this slide will crumble in a years time.

May not be an issue for you if you are digitising an already compromised (fungal infected) collection as a rescue effort though, but it isn't best practice.

Whatever you do, make sure you rinse well and dry thoroughly but gently.

ps. try not to brush your slides too much whether dry or with alcohol or soap, at least not whilst they have solids adhered to them, unless you like scratches.
Ultrasonic baths help avoid this issue.

Please, consider some professional advice or paying a professional to do this if they are good slides.
 Peter Leeming 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I always use a combination of PEC 12 Emulsion Cleaner and PEC Pads to great success on my medium format film. Feel free to e mail me for details of how to use them if you go down this route.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-pec-pads-10x10cm-100-sheets-/p1001963

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-pec-12-photographic-emulsion-cleaner-spr...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...