UKC

Bouldering safety

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Urban boulderer 27 Feb 2013
A simple query, but why dont boulders wear helmets. A lot of overhanging routes and a lot of falling off.

My buddy marco gashed his head open when he fell recently. Surely it makes sense.
 Guy Atkinson 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer:
That's what beanies are for innit? Oh and spotters help too.
 lowersharpnose 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer:

I have never seen a boulder wearing a helmet.

BoulderyDave 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer: because it is too dangerous for spotters
as646 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer: Bouldering is all about minimalism. It's one of the purest forms of climbing; no ropes, no protection, no helmets. Just you, a pair of shoes, and the rock. And a bucket of chalk, a back-up bucket of chalk, a couple of brushes, and a small mountain of mats beneath you.

Besides, I can't fit my helmet on top of my beanie.
 Dan Jam 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer: Personal preference. I have seen a boulderer with a helmet once but they were behaving in such a way that made them more of a liability. I boulder, trad and sport climb and pretty much never wear a helmet...
 goose299 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Daniel James:
Aren't you hard
 Baron Weasel 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Urban boulderer: Helmets are mainly designed for impact from above caused by falling stuff. Some helmets will protect against impact from the sides, but not all. Have a look at a Petzl Ecrin Roc and you will see what I mean.

Good video on here a while back http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1126

BW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...