UKC

A few very noob questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
VwJap 27 Feb 2013
Ok kitted up last night to go for a walk and had a few aches and pains, now my questions are, I did 4 miles walking, at about 1 mile my kidneys started to ache, is this just unfit or was it my backpack/daypack (ospray stratous 26) wrongly fitted? At about 2 and half miles my feet started aching, again is this just my unfitness and my feet not used to all this running/walking (on week 6 oh 0 to 10k runner) or I've chose the wrong boots (salomon gtx quest 4d), then at 3 miles I was sweating and tired,

Many thanks

John
 henwardian 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap: Walk 4 miles with no pack. Compare with how you feel now. That will answer that one. If kidneys still sore, drink a lot more water.

Didn't really understand "on week 6 oh 0 to 10k runner" but if you walked 2 and a half miles and your feet were aching, I'd guess you should try other shoes. (unless you are very overweight or normally do absolutely no walking - never go to the shops or walk round town on an evening out - in which case, just build it up slowly, a little more each outing from what feels comfortable to begin with)
VwJap 27 Feb 2013
In reply to henwardian: ah good idea about the backpack

I'm in week 6 of a training program which is running from nowhere to 10km, the last run I did was 5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 3 min walk, 6 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run them 5 minute walk as a cool down, hope you can understand that,
And I didn't really walk anywhere, I was on 30-40 bensons gold a day, and quite a heavy drinker,

Hope this helps

John
 jenniwat001 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:

Could be you are not used to walking. Making sure you are drinking plenty of water. I have found the lower back (about kidney level) can ache if I haven't walked for a bit. Was it muscular back pain or kidney pain- they can be easily confused if you have never had actual kidney pain.

I would walk a bit more before blaming the boots, if you didn't walk much a new pair of shoes could cause discomfort, try wearing them in a bit at a time.

Keep at it though, it sounds like a good plan.
Jimmybarr 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:

I'm inclined to think it could be lack of fluids if your kidneys were hurting. I just had a quick glance at your blog, well done mate, hats off to you! What you've got to remember is that you've given your body some stick over the years and it will take time for it to recover, but keep doing what you're doing and it will get easier and less painful.
 ThunderCat 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:
> (In reply to henwardian) ah good idea about the backpack
>
> I'm in week 6 of a training program which is running from nowhere to 10km, the last run I did was 5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 3 min walk, 6 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run them 5 minute walk as a cool down, hope you can understand that,
> And I didn't really walk anywhere, I was on 30-40 bensons gold a day, and quite a heavy drinker,
>
> Hope this helps

Sounds like me...well, I was on 20 bennies a day (ish) until about 5 years ago, and a heavy drinker up until Jan 1st.

Don't know the best advice for beginning running, really. I read somewhere to do it in 2 minute cycles: start off running for 30 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds all the way around the local park or something, then get a few days rest, then do it again but this time run for 40 seconds, and walk for 80 seconds (does that make sense? All in 2 minute blocks)..

I tried that, but got a bit bored.

I now run lengths of the park. 10 lengths = 4 miles and I pretty much started out running a length and needing a break in the middle of each one. I can now manage to run 6 lengths without taking a break.

Managed a 10k run last week in about an hour and 6 minutes.

Although I only recently started running, there was already a bit of overall fitness there cos I cycle a lot - I found that running 10k was actually quite easy and I'd built it up into a bit of monster in my head.

Let us know how you get on.

TC

VwJap 27 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: wow, well done you, 10k, it's kinda the same routine as the run a minute walk two then again and again, then rest a day or two and do a little more, but I do it on a treadmill and I really enjoy it when I get into a swing, although the last few sessions have been really hard, but still enjoyable

I will try with these boots, although they did feel a bit tighter when I put super insoles in, so maybe that didn't help

I know back pain as I broke my back, ankles, shins and knees in motorcycle accidents when I was younger and every year I get muscle spasms in my lower back, so maybe at the weekend i will walk without the pack to see if the pain starts again,

I have no overall fitness but hopefully will be able to complete my challenge I've set for myself in October comfortably, then maybe keep it up for 2014 for somewhere else

John
VwJap 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Jimmybarr: I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not doing any more damage, if that makes sense
 ThunderCat 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:
> (In reply to ThunderCat) wow, well done you, 10k, it's kinda the same routine as the run a minute walk two then again and again, then rest a day or two and do a little more, but I do it on a treadmill and I really enjoy it when I get into a swing, although the last few sessions have been really hard, but still enjoyable
>
> I will try with these boots, although they did feel a bit tighter when I put super insoles in, so maybe that didn't help
>
> I know back pain as I broke my back, ankles, shins and knees in motorcycle accidents when I was younger and every year I get muscle spasms in my lower back, so maybe at the weekend i will walk without the pack to see if the pain starts again,
>
> I have no overall fitness but hopefully will be able to complete my challenge I've set for myself in October comfortably, then maybe keep it up for 2014 for somewhere else
>
> John

Small steps fella. I found that for the first couple of weeks, my legs would hurt like hell for the next few days. Feet were fine, just the front of my thighs. Did lots of stretching and warm ups before but they still hurt.

Thats not really happening now, so I'm actually starting to get into that zone where I'm ENJOYING the running...where you stop forgetting that you're running and just drift off into your thoughts for a bit. I mean it's only a few seconds here and there, but the fact I'm able to point my mind in a direction other than the burning lungs and muscles is a bonus.

The same thing happened on the bike when I started that...at first it was just pain, pain, pain...but gradually it became a pleasure.

I can really see the attraction in running now, although I'm a long way off classing myself as a runner...and I still do it in the park, at night where no one can see me wobble and sweat.
 ThunderCat 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:
> (In reply to Jimmybarr) I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not doing any more damage, if that makes sense

I made do with a bog standard pair of running shoes but if you've had issues with leg and back injuries is it worth seeing a decent fitter and getting measured up?

John Lewis 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap: The 0 to 10k running plan is a good one, if you're on week 6 I would be surprised that a 4 mile walk had such an effect.

Do the walk without pack to confirm that,and adjust as necessary. Were you in the same shoes? if not are they the issue? THat said boot / feet combo may just need to get aquainted.

dont give up just monitor and take action accordingly, and finish the 10 weeks.
VwJap 27 Feb 2013
In reply to John Lewis: I'm pushing myself hard to finish the full runs, and doing them in cheap runners, although they do feel a lot more comfy over the whole walk/run, where as my boots are tough beasts, that don't bend at all, will try a walk with the different insoles in,

Tc: hoping to get my feet done for runners on Saturday

Well I have some stuff to get on with, and I'm thinking I'm just being over cautious about the aches and pains, thanks all

John
VwJap 27 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap: oh sorry peeps I'm on week 5 not 6 out of 14 weeks
 John Lewis 28 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap: If you are intending on continuing to run, go get fitted for propper running shoes.

Walking boots will need to get bedded in, you did get them slightly larger than usual didn't you?
VwJap 28 Feb 2013
In reply to John Lewis: yes mate, im a tad under 8 but got 8 1/2s due to wearing bridgedale socks
 jkarran 28 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:

> I'm in week 6 of a training program which is running from nowhere to 10km, the last run I did was 5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 3 min walk, 6 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run them 5 minute walk as a cool down, hope you can understand that,
> And I didn't really walk anywhere, I was on 30-40 bensons gold a day, and quite a heavy drinker,

Good on you for getting into shape and it sounds like you've picked a sensibly paced regime to get you there. Good luck with it, 10k is a great goal to work towards and very rewarding.

If your boots aren't broken in yet they may be causing the achy feet or it could just be your feet are a bit weak/tender (mine are, soft insoles in hard soled footwear help). Modern fabric boots don't take a lot of breaking in but a few miles in them help soften the fabric and soles a little which helps.

Sore lower back is probably just the pressure of the pack. You could experiment with the adjustments and loading, see if that helps. Equally it could just be the added weight in which case I'd suggest carrying less for the time being. If you really think it's your kidneys then maybe you should book an appointment with your GP, 2 miles of walking shouldn't cause kidney pain.

jk
 Ander 28 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:

I'd hazard a guess it's not your kidneys- more likely lower back pain from poor posture/ gait.
 Ander 28 Feb 2013
In reply to VwJap:

My suggestion is (i'm being serious here) is to take it a bit easier. If you're walking 4 miles, walk it in trainers and ditch the rucksack, etc. Have a cup of tea before you go, and have one when you get back, along with something you enjoy eating (biscuits, or something like that).

You should try to walk it as briskly as possible, such that you feel 'refreshed' when you get back, rather than tired out. Otherwise, you're overdoing it.

VwJap 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Ander: yep I'm going to take it a bit easier, think my body just gave me a major hint to,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...