UKC

Is this a walking forum-or a climbing forum?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
charlieslater 28 Feb 2013
Just wondered what this site was all about, titled hill walking but seemingly most of the posts are re climbing. I am far too fat to climb but I do like a challenging walk, registered here to find like minded, competent walkers but not having any luck.
 Tom Valentine 28 Feb 2013
In reply to charlieslater:

Click the hill talk button to filter out all the beanie topped senders.
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Now I know I am thick, that went straight over my head !
 Jon Read 28 Feb 2013
User Options / Favourite Forums / tick the ones you want to see. Think you have to register.
In reply to Jon Read:
Cheers, done that, will wait and see what happens.
 risby 28 Feb 2013
> Just wondered what this site was all about, titled hill walking but seemingly most of the posts are re climbing.

This is so bizarre! I've tried posting the ukhillwalking url twice but, although I can see it in the message entry as soon as I post the message the link is translated to become ukclimbing. Let's try again with spaces

http: // www. ukhillwalking . com / forums /
 Alyson 28 Feb 2013
In reply to charlieslater: The forums are shared between ukclimbing.com, which is a long established climbing website, and ukhillwalking.com which is a relatively new offshoot designed to have broader appeal. You will find within the general 'forums' there are a lot of sub categories such as biking, photography, climbing, running and skiing. 'The Pub' is for general chat and silliness and 'off belay' (sorry, it's a climbing term) is for more serious discussion about anything which doesn't fall into any other category. Religion, science, the Falklands, Palestine and owls are favoured topics.

You can set your preferences to see or hide any category, to filter out stuff you aren't interested in. I'm sure as time goes on you'll find more and more hillwalkers visiting the site and who knows, maybe one day you'll try climbing
 toad 28 Feb 2013
In reply to charlieslater: What Alyson said, really. I call myself a climber, but if I'm honest I'm more of a hill walker. There's quite often a lot of stuff that crops up in rocktalk that is at least as applicable to walkers - conditions/ access etc, so it's worth reading that, the gear forum tends to cover both walking and climbing equipment as well (wonder if that should be split , thinking about it?), and some of the destination/ expedition stuff is worth a read if you aspire to bigger trips abroad, or just like reading about what other people have done.

I don't have any particular bits turned off, but I just don't read threads I'm obviously not interested in. There's a lot of good walking info on this site, and some very experienced contributors, and it doesn't have the all boy scouts together feel of some other walking sites. <cough>outdoorsmagic</cough>
 Milesy 28 Feb 2013
> Just wondered what this site was all about, titled hill walking but seemingly most of the posts are re climbing. I am far too fat to climb but I do like a challenging walk, registered here to find like minded, competent walkers but not having any luck.

There is a lot of crossover. Many of us are climbers but also hillwalkers. As said, the two sites are shared and the main hill forum is in Hilltalk. If you dont want to read the other stuff just unsubscribe. The Pub and Off Belay are worth subsubscribing to as well. Everyone should ubsubscribe to "Bouldering" by default. I don't even know what goes on in there. Everyone hanging about on their laptops with their t shirts off, looking in mirrors.
 Solaris 28 Feb 2013

You may find that having a "profile" will help you get more helpful replies to your queries, and likewise you can infer quite a lot about others from their profiles.
mysterion 28 Feb 2013

I see this as a mountaineering site rather than walking or climbing - somewhere to expand your horizons into easy rock climbing, easy winter climbing, ski touring/mountaineering. Walking lies at the heart of all this (navigation, weather, fitness). Bouldering, indoor walls and the like I don't bother with.

So long as you are viewing the site on http://www.ukhillwalking.com/ forums/ rather than the UKC page - a lot of the climbing specific forums are not shown (bouldering, rock destinations, etc.)
 toad 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: Think you meant the UKH URL?
 Simon Caldwell 28 Feb 2013
In reply to toad:
If you post a UKH URL from UKC, the forum software 'helpfully' changes it to UKC for you!
In reply to Toreador:

Thanks, forgot about that.
 yorkshirebloke 08 Mar 2013

Rich in the lakes, hi, if you wanna get out waling in the lakes or scotland giz a shout, i'm keen most weekends...

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...