UKC

winter climbers study

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ensô 02 Mar 2013
Hi, I'm doing a study into the motivations of winter climbers and if you could take a few minutes to fill in that'd be great, really doesn't take long https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZVYBLDS , had posted this previously however it was taken down due to lack of permission however that should now have been rectified I believe,
Cheers
 Webster 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô: The questions in this survey are worded terribly, and i resent the fact that you are refering to mountaineering as a sport.
 Euge 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô; Haven't yuou heard... according to Radio Scotland and Newsnight we are all suicidal!!!

E
 Rampikino 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô:

Hidden profile?

You want people to answer then fill in your profile.
 butteredfrog 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô:

Questions are a bit generic. (I take it you have nicked this survey from elseware?) Still it makes more sense than some of the other surveys on here.

Done!
 John Kelly 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô: sorry couldn't complete the form - questions might need tweaking-I found the questions about training particularly difficult - for me training is simple about doing stuff i enjoy as much as possible - i am very old
 isi_o 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô:
Done, but as with others I felt the questions were pretty odd in their wording, so you may get some strange results as people don't understand them/ give up part way through!
 Henry Iddon 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Webster:
> i resent the fact that you are refering to mountaineering as a sport.

Discuss.
 David Barratt 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: Is it not a "sport"? granted, it's not one of those silly ones like football or tiddlywinks... is it the association with competitive sport that you resent?
 Mr-Cowdrey 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô: I looked but didn't bother. Terrible.
 Milesy 04 Mar 2013
I gave up as well. Sorry but the wording gives the impression of no understanding of the subject matter, which leaves me asking about the application of the data collected?
 David Barratt 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô: Done. Good luck with the dissertation.
 nniff 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> I gave up as well. Sorry but the wording gives the impression of no understanding of the subject matter, which leaves me asking about the application of the data collected?

Ditto. Possibly the most peripheral study that I have seen. It looks as though the author has applied no thought to his subject whatsoever.

It seemed so irrelevant that it occurred to me that it might have been produced by a tabloid journo looking for an angle rater than a legitimate student.
 peas65 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô:

Gave up, questions are worded in the most ridiculous manner. How can you use these to support a dissertation if people do not really understand them?

Anyway sorry.
 Henry Iddon 04 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

'Webster' asked the question - I have expressed no opinion. I was inviting him to add more to his comment - which I quoted.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Ensô:
Virtually identical to another recent survey - presumably both were copied from the same place
 audax 04 Mar 2013
I do not see why so many people are complaining about this, it is stated at the start that you will be completing a standard questionnaire. Therefore obviously the questions are not going to be based around winter climbing.

Google 'SMS-28 (sport motivation scale) (Pelletier et al., 1995)' if you want to learn more about the questions and why the are phrased as they are.

To the OP - good luck with the dissertation.
 Webster 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: Because mountaineering is a pastime, for some a way of life, and it has many different meanings to many different people. by definition a sport is competitive, has set rules, is officiated and has a uniform 'arena' in which it is undertook (e.g a football pitch). Mountaineering is none of the above, hence my resentment.
Now there are several avenues of mountaineeing which can be seen as a sport, and rightly so, such as competition sport climbing and bouldring, but these are not what the survey is directed at.
Therefore i put forward that ether the target audience is wrong, or the entire premise of the survey is wrong!

hope that clears things up
 Henry Iddon 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Webster:

Part of me agrees, part of me disagrees with your assertion that mountaineering is a pastime not a sport. It could be a game.

Its a philosophical matter.

Two books on my book shelf consider the whole matter and more, highly recommended reading -

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophic-Inquiry-Sport-William-Morgan/dp/087322716...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philosophy-Risk-Adventure-Sports-McNamee/dp/0415351...

nniff 06 Mar 2013
In reply to audax:
>
> Google 'SMS-28 (sport motivation scale) (Pelletier et al., 1995)' if you want to learn more about the questions and why the are phrased as they are.
>
Just because a methodology exists it doesn't make it right for all potential appliciations. If the OP were to salvage anything from this, it would be a recognition that the methodology would not appear to fit and that there is something else going on. Why the study should be constrained to the lower grades is a further mystery, as much of the evaluation methodology is achievement-oriented.

When was the last time you saw anyone going thorugh anything resembling athletic preparation at the foot of a grade 1-4? Having a nice cuppa and a Mars bar and putting on something a bit warmer doesn't quite fit the sporting mould in my mind.

What if he were to address the motivation to get to the foot of Point 5 on a crisp blue day of perfect conditions before anyone else? Or the motivations of those who play that game to torture others before stepping aside at the last moment to climb Left Edge?
 French Erick 06 Mar 2013
In reply to nniff:
I've done that (torture and left edge bit) great fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...