UKC

Is this the way forwards for cycling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Don't like the sound of pay-per-view TV coverage!
Removed User 03 Mar 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yea. I kind of thought of Kerry Packer's world series in Cricket. It might be short lived but it might still have the desired impact to change things. pay per view will be a side line.
 Liam M 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User: I've seen things about the world series cycling (apparently break away, but still thoroughly intertwined with the UCI so I don't know how that works) and really can't say I like it.

Throughout the current season you get a huge variety of one day and stage races that require teams and riders to have different strengths and tactics. The type of rider who is going to be strong on Paris-Roubaix is different to who may take Vuelta a Espana, and the way they are targeted need to be different.

WSC seems to be about a series of carbon copy mini stage races that will end up with a much narrower set of tactics and victorious riders, and will remove a lot of appeal of pro cycling.

I don't disagree that something needs to be done about the UCI and its recent history, but I don't think this depressing suggestion is it. There are other aspects of the proposals I don't like, but this is the most fundamental.
 lost1977 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User:

so far i had let it slip with Dave (trying not to see a hidden agenda but at the end of the day he is sky) although i cant see the Europeans letting sky getting its grips on cycling
Removed User 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Liam M:

Perhaps it is just "sabre rattling"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...