UKC

Southern Sandstone today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HenryC 03 Mar 2013
Was thinking of heading out to Harrison's Rocks for some bouldering/soloing. Been out of the area for a couple of weeks so haven't monitored the weather, will it be in nick or not?
OP HenryC 03 Mar 2013
In reply to HenryC:

Bump
 Rich L 03 Mar 2013
In reply to HenryC:

Not exactly what you asked for, as it only refers to Bowles, but one of the instructors who is based there has updates about conditions on his Twitter page.

I do not do the Twitter thing, but it is something like Mountain-Trips @LaurenceReading. A search on here will bring up the actual link
 Trangia 04 Mar 2013
In reply to HenryC:

Did you go? What condition was the rock in?
 Fishmate 04 Mar 2013
In reply to HenryC:

Come on fella, spill the beans. Did you get out? Hoping this weekend may be good for for a return to SS.
 Guy Atkinson 04 Mar 2013
In reply to HenryC:

I went for a walk along Harrison's today and there wasn't a single part of the crag that was anywhere near condition even after dry weather and clear blue sky all day today. It might be a different story at Bowles but I doubt it.
Sorry Fishymate looks like it will be a while before we get out on the rock at this rate.

On the up side they've cleared more trees at the bottom of some of the perma-wet parts of the crag so if there's a good long dry spell there might be some new stuff to have a go at later in the year.
 Slarti B 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia:
Bowles was ok on sunday, apart from being a bit chilly.
 Guy Atkinson 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Slarti B:
Okay meaning completely dry and not sandy as hell and likely to pull bits off? Or okay meaning not great but you climbed it anyway regardless?
 Slarti B 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Guy Atkinson:
> (In reply to Slarti B)
> Okay meaning completely dry and not sandy as hell and likely to pull bits off? Or okay meaning not great but you climbed it anyway regardless?

The former, otherwise we wouldn't have climbed there. Neither, I imagine/hope would any of the other groups there who seemed pretty experienced Sandstone climbers.

Cracks were seeping a bit but faces were not damp and had little sand on them.

Early morning Mr Angry post I see but thanks for the concern.

Fishmate 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Slarti B:
> (In reply to Guy Atkinson)
> [...]
>
> The former, otherwise we wouldn't have climbed there.
> Early morning Mr Angry post I see but thanks for the concern.

Easy Slarti He has every right to ask that question and so do you of him. You don't know each other and if you are an SS regular you know full well that plenty of people come to crags in the south east and climb whatever the conditions because they made the effort to get there and think "1 day wont hurt". Guy and I walk away if it doesn't look good. We also know others don't so thanks for your early morning Mr "I'm sensitive" post and for taking the time reassure someone who is grateful for what little rock we have in the south east and wishes to preserve it.

And relax......................
 Fishmate 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Guy Atkinson:

Howdee fella, yep this countries pants indeed. On the upside, I'm off to Allicante in April, for a weeks hard sport fun. Pretty psyched, but confident I'll get truly spanked, even though the indoor training is going ok. The climbing looks amazing with so much variety across the grades. Might be a case of go out a boy come back a man (in a climbing sense of course).

Where are you talking about at Harrison's? Getting down towards Spider Wall area? If so, some of those routes look quite compressiony

Anywayz, it's definitely worth following up on Slarti's comments, which I'm sure are good. Can you give Bowles a sniff? now you've passed your test n all. Much to do there. Nice pics of Oskar recently btw. How is the pensioner?
 Guy Atkinson 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Fishmate:
i'll text you... haha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...