UKC

Sgurr nan Eag/Sgurr Dubh Mor difficulty mid March?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 04 Mar 2013
Thinking of linking the above two hills during a trip to Skye in mid March.
Can I expect full winter conditions on the tops and if so, are these two peaks still attainable unroped for someone with plenty of winter and scrambling experience (me) but not really wanting it to turn into a full on climb?

What do you think?
 kwoods 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Siward: I'd say I'm about similar, done lots of scrambling and winter.

Of course anything can happen in March. But expect full on winter conditions and only hope for better. (I did the Fisherfields in shorts + t-shirt, no snow, last March )

The hardest part is the ascent to Sgurr Dubh Mor, I felt the rest wasn't too bad. But if I were to try Sgurr Dubh Mor in March I would be going for a look without expectation. I found the ledges leading to the top not the worst bit. Getting across the saddle and routefinding past gullies was the hardest part for me.
In reply to Siward:
> What do you think?

Most likely winter conditions I would expect unless significant increase in temperatures over normal - one year I was there on a 23rd April and found the (soft/slippery) snow level well below the loch and had to abandon the day prior to even getting to S nan Eag as friends were not experienced in those conditions. Personally I would have the ropes and other winter gear if it was me, and wait and see what it is like when you are there. Could be highly variable - warmest March day on record for nearby Carbost was apparently on 26th March 12 at 17.8 C, and the coldest March day on record was -0.8 C on 11th March 11.
Someone who lives on Skye may be able to give a better reply as to what you may expect this year.
 Mike Lates 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Siward: At the moment you should get away with crossing only minor snow patches so take crampons. Prob the worst wee section will be the descent from Dubh an Da Bheinn.
 Mike Lates 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Siward: 9th March- Above 600m even the smallest of snow patches is now really solid so crampons definitely needed this week. No fresh snow yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...