/ Sheffeild where would you buy a house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TRip - on 04 Mar 2013
My Girlfriend and I are moving to Sheffield in August. As we are going to be living there for the foreseeable future we have decided to buy a house together... gulp!

I don't know Sheffield very well and have probably visited the city three or four times.

Where should we be looking at living?

We both like climbing, road cycling and occasionally running. It would be good if it was easy for us to drive out into the Peak after work.

We'd like to buy a three bed house, in a nice, but not too expensive area.

My girlfriend works in the hospital so it needs to relatively close to the Northern General and Hallamshire. She is also likely to be on placement in Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley or Chesterfield. So it would be helpful it was fairly easy to get to the main roads to the those places.

It would be good if it was walking distance to the shops and a climbing wall.

Not too bothered about it being studenty as long as it isn't overrun by them.

Do all the climbers still live in S7 or was that only in the days of Ben and Jerry?

Cheers,

TR
victim of mathematics - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

Rule no.1 of living in Sheffield - stay west of the A61 (except for a few bits of Meersbrook, which are quite nice).

Either Walkley/Crookes (Crookes is more studenty and a bit more expensive) or Meersbrook/Nether Edge fit most bills.

Walkley/Crookes are nearer to the hospitals and easier for Barnsley and Rotherham. The Foundry is 20 minutes walk down the hill. The local shops are better in Crookes, but there's a brilliant butchers in Walkley, and a great grocers on the way into town from either. I can't comment on the shops in Meersbrook/Nether Edge, but the Works is within easy walking distance, and it's where most of the climbers I know live.

Both are on or near main roads, Meersbrook/Nether Edge are closer to Chesterfield and Doncaster is about the same from either.

I'd expect a 2/3 bedroom terraced house (generally one large and one small bedroom on the first floor and an attic conversion if you want another bedroom) to be £120-130k, although it was a couple of years ago that I was last really paying attention. If that's a bit over budget, then there are some nice parts of places like Hillsborough which are probably a bit cheaper.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon to tell you that there are some lovely bits of the Manor or Darnall (or even Rotherham), but they'll be lying...
Muel - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

I live in S8, and it's a little bit too downtrodden (all the houses/shops look a bit rough) for my liking, but it's not too bad at all really, very low levels of scummy horrible people. I'd recommend Heeley/Meersbrook I think. Very close to the Works (if you like to queue) and the Edge, as well as having pretty much all the shops you'll need nearby. I've been living here for 2 years now and find it a pretty comfortable place to live.

S7 seems to be nicer though, I've only been driven through there but it looks nicer. I'd love to live there if we could afford it.
PebblePusher - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

Woodseats is a lovely area and rarely gets mentioned in these posts. Quick link to the peak, close to centre but far enough to be quiet at night, good for shops. Only major drawback is the pubs are all (with 1 exception) crap!

Another good thing is that you are half way up the hill on the way out of Sheffield so to get to the Peak on the bike isn't too much effort! As a road cyclist who lives in Sheffield I hope you are ready for the hills!!

Worth a look anyway.

Oh, and Rotherham is a horrible place. I have the (dis)pleasure of working here and I hate it with a buring passion!

Good luck.
Chris
TheDrunkenBakers - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: A couple of good friends of mine live in Nether Edge/Millhouses. Nice place and very close to the hills. Not cheap though, I dont think, but Rightmove will tell you what you need to know about prices.

They both live in decent sized 3 ben semis which were bought about £200k several years ago.
Neil Williams - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to PebblePusher:

I went to Rotherham once, and once was entirely sufficient.

Neil
PebblePusher - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

I have to go there 5 times a week!! It's killing me and the main reason I am now job hunting!

I worked in Dronfield before this job, I imagine moving house from Dore to Manor Top would feel similar!!
Timmd on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:Yeah, don't move to Rotherham if you can help it.

Nether Edge is within cycling distance of the Hallamshire, and the Northern General is miles away from places like Meersbrook and Millhouses and Nether Edge and Ecclesall and Sharrow and Greystones.

There are nice bits to Rotherham according to a local I know from there, he's mentioned fields and dams near where he lives, but Rotherham itself as a city isn't so great.

You can get a 2 or 3 house for approx 130 in Crookes last time I looked.
deepsoup - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:
> My girlfriend works in the hospital so it needs to relatively close to the Northern General and Hallamshire.

The Hallamshire is pretty central, but most of the recommendations you're likely to get here (for the SW area of the city) probably won't be very handy for the Northern General.

The rule of thumb about staying west of the A61 is a good one (though there probably are exceptions). To compromise, perhaps a bit further North than the more usual UCK recommendations? eg: Walkley, Hillsborough, Loxley, even Stannington perhaps..

Not quite as easy to get out towards the Eastern edges, but easy to head out towards Low & High Bradfield (and Agden Rocher, woo!) and then via Strines across towards Stanage etc.. Probably much easier to get across to the Northern General from there than it would be from the part of town more usually associated with hordes of climbers.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Sheaf View is not actually the best pub in the world to have as your local btw. The Blake (in Walkley) is even better. :o)
Jonny2vests - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> Rule no.1 of living in Sheffield - stay west of the A61 (except for a few bits of Meersbrook, which are quite nice).
>
> Either Walkley/Crookes (Crookes is more studenty and a bit more expensive) or Meersbrook/Nether Edge fit most bills.
>
> Walkley/Crookes are nearer to the hospitals and easier for Barnsley and Rotherham. The Foundry is 20 minutes walk down the hill. The local shops are better in Crookes, but there's a brilliant butchers in Walkley, and a great grocers on the way into town from either. I can't comment on the shops in Meersbrook/Nether Edge, but the Works is within easy walking distance, and it's where most of the climbers I know live.
>
> Both are on or near main roads, Meersbrook/Nether Edge are closer to Chesterfield and Doncaster is about the same from either.
>
> I'd expect a 2/3 bedroom terraced house (generally one large and one small bedroom on the first floor and an attic conversion if you want another bedroom) to be £120-130k, although it was a couple of years ago that I was last really paying attention. If that's a bit over budget, then there are some nice parts of places like Hillsborough which are probably a bit cheaper.
>
> I'm sure somebody will be along soon to tell you that there are some lovely bits of the Manor or Darnall (or even Rotherham), but they'll be lying...


All of that. Plus Woodseats.
victim of mathematics - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to TRip)
> [...]
>
> The Hallamshire is pretty central, but most of the recommendations you're likely to get here (for the SW area of the city) probably won't be very handy for the Northern General.
>
> The rule of thumb about staying west of the A61 is a good one (though there probably are exceptions). To compromise, perhaps a bit further North than the more usual UCK recommendations? eg: Walkley, Hillsborough, Loxley, even Stannington perhaps..
>
> Not quite as easy to get out towards the Eastern edges, but easy to head out towards Low & High Bradfield (and Agden Rocher, woo!) and then via Strines across towards Stanage etc.. Probably much easier to get across to the Northern General from there than it would be from the part of town more usually associated with hordes of climbers.
>
> Contrary to popular opinion, the Sheaf View is not actually the best pub in the world to have as your local btw. The Blake (in Walkley) is even better. :o)

Once you get the hang of driving through Crosspool/Fulwood, it barely takes any longer to get out to the peak from that part of town. Yesterday evening it took me 10 minutes to get from Walkley to the car park at the Popular End of Stanage.

You're absolutely right about The Blake though. It's just like the Sheaf, only with a much better whisky selection :)
David Barratt - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: Tesco
David Barratt - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt: oh sorry, thought it said horse... couldn't resist.
vark - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:
Some important considerations:
1. There is a free bus for staff between the Hallamshire and Northern General.
2. Don't live anywhere near the Northern General.
3. Don't make any plans based on an assumption you could park near the Hallamshire.

You can't go too far wrong on the west side of sheffield.
For ease of access to the hospitals I would go for some where in Walkley, Crookes, Broomhill, Cross Pool, Fulwood, Ranmoor or Lodge Moor areas. The further out from the city centre you go the higher the prices in general. The advantage of these areas is you can drop down either side of a hill to get to whichever hospital you need.

Getting to Barnsley or Chesterfield form the west side of Sheffield if easy as you can go around the outside. Rotherham means going somewhere near the centre of town. Doncaster is a pain in the arse. I know many people who do bike-train-bike to avoid the nonsense.

PM me if you want to know anything specific. I also have a house for sale!


Timmd on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to vark:

> 3. Don't make any plans based on an assumption you could park near the Hallamshire.
>
]
Unless it's half term, when she can sneakily park in the school car park nearby. Shhh, you didn't read it here though.
LakesWinter on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

S7 is a bit overpriced really. If you want to get out of sheffield to go winter climbing in the lakes, wales or scotland then live in Crookes, Crosspool, Walkley, Hillsborough. S7 will add loads of faff to getting out of town on a friday night. Exactly where you live in hillsborough is important as crossing from the north east bit towards the peak is irritating after work.
Timmd on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> S7 is a bit overpriced really. If you want to get out of sheffield to go winter climbing in the lakes, wales or scotland then live in Crookes, Crosspool, Walkley, Hillsborough.

Or Greystones or somewhere around Ecclesall Road, or in/on the edge of Sharrow.
dutybooty - on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: Another vote for walkley/Crookes
robert-hutton on 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:
I live in S11 which has a nice village feel to it and the people are easy going, great for biking into the peak close to the moors for running and when I used to climb, good for getting to most of the grit and limestone crags.
The city is only a couple of minutesí drive away
Both Graystones and Hunters bar are very good but also pricy.
alasdair19 on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: we bought in walkley 2years ago. The rivelin valley on the doorstep is ace. Less middle class than round hunters bar. But not as cool as s7. House hunting takes ages and is crap.
ads.ukclimbing.com
alasdair19 on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: I would rent for 6 months in new place get a feel first. Woodseats is a disaster for getting to the hospitals or further afield.
Trangia - on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to alasdair19:
> (In reply to TRip) I would rent for 6 months in new place get a feel first.

Good advice which I sugges should apply to any area/town you are new to and don't know.

krikoman - on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip: I've heard Manor Top is tops for Sheffeild.
Ahab - on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:
As someone who works in the hospitals you mentioned (and has to rotate around) like it sounds like your girlfriend will have to, I chose to live in Crookes. V convenient for the hallamshire and northern general, but I would prefer to cycle to the NGH rather than rely on the hospital bus service especially if working out of hours.

The commute from S7 to the sheffield hospitals would be worse in the rush-hour traffic, and for Barnsley, but doubt it would make much difference for the other hospitals, and definitely better for Chesterfield.
Tom V - on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to krikoman:

I'm sure it comes top of several league tables.
Father Noel Furlong on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

If it hasn't been said already........Glasgow.
Hat Dude on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to vark)
>
> [...]
> ]
> Unless it's half term, when she can sneakily park in the school car park nearby. Shhh, you didn't read it here though.

Umm Telling!!!

My daughter teaches there
Jimmybarr on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:

ITT a bunch of snobs

Lived in Dore for 26 years now live on the outskirts of Rotherham. Admittedly Rotherham centre is a shit hole but there are actually some very nice areas of Rotherham (eg Wentworth).

Personally have a trip up and look around the areas and see for yourself. Listen to the majority of this lot and you'll be buying a nice little pad on Whirlowdale Rd.
Timmd on 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> Umm Telling!!!
>
> My daughter teaches there

The OTHER school car park is the one I ment. (;-))
TRip - on 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Crookes sounds like our best bet. There looks like some well nice houses there too.

galpinos - on 07 Mar 2013
In reply to TRip:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Crookes sounds like our best bet. There looks like some well nice houses there too.

It will be packed with your wife's future work collegues. Whether that's a plus or a minus depends......

(My wife is a doctor)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.