UKC

Getting to Kalymnos from Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyWatt83 05 Mar 2013
Anyone travelled to Kalymnos from Scotland?

I'm struggling to find a sensible set of flights. Best I can do from Aberdeen involves three stops (KLM, Aberdeen to Kos via Amsterdam & Athens) and costs more that £600...

The direct flight from Glasgow arrives in Kos at 1am and it's an overnight flight home as well. I'd rather not travel overnight if possible...

So, looking for a little inspiration! Anyone done this?
 Blue Straggler 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn:
Sounds annoying. Not taking the mickey but would you consider driving to a northern English airport that had a better flight connection?
 SonyaD 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn: Got flights for my daughter and her b/f (well in advance). Edinburgh to Gatwick, Gatwick to Kos for just over £400. However,it does involve an overnight stay in Gatwick (premier inn so cheap though!)
 aldo56 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn: I had the same problem and decided to go to the Costa Blanca instead as it was far easier to get there.
 Nic 05 Mar 2013

...in the words of the old joke, I wouldn't start from there if I were you!
craigloon 05 Mar 2013

When are you going?

If it is after May you could fly to Bodrum in Turkey and either take the short ferry across to Kos and then on to Kalymnos, or there is a direct hydrofoil from Turgutreis to Kalymnos on Saturday mornings. Takes just half an hour!

Best check that they are running when you plan to go though.
 Maggie 05 Mar 2013
> Anyone travelled to Kalymnos from Scotland?

I managed it Edinburgh to Manchester to Kos a few years ago. Was a 6am flight from Manchester though, so involved getting the last flight down from Edinburgh the night before and kipping at the airport. Made it back in one (long) day though...

edinburgh_man 05 Mar 2013

I normally fly from Leeds or Liverpool direct to Kos and then take the hour ling ferry journey. Just booked for Easter for £150 return.
 McGus 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn: years ago I did it with a couple of mates from Glasgow arriving around 1am. We just got cab to the port where everything was packing up for the night, found a few beach loungers and kipped down for a few hours then walked to get first ferry. We were climbing that morning. Kind of okay really.
 Brian 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn: I have flown to Kos loads of times from Glasgow with ThomasCook
 Brian 05 Mar 2013
In reply to TonyThePrawn: For around £300
OP AndyWatt83 06 Mar 2013

I think the Glasgow option is the best bet & just suck up the overnighter. Cheers for the tips & I'll look into the Turkey option.

Thanks!
 catt 06 Mar 2013

Arriving in Mastichari (only a 15min max taxi from the airport btw) in the middle of the night and sitting up at the taverna(the one at the top of the harbour area and on the corner of the roundabout and beach seems to stay open for drinks 24hr in season) drinking tea and coffee or kipping on the sun loungers waiting for the first ferry are all part of the Kaly right of passage. It's also really not all that bad a way to do it, and Glasgow-Kos-Kalymnos is by far the least hassle factor travelling from Scotland.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...