UKC

anyone had experience in fixing a Canon camera?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi guys, i recently snapped off one of the 4 pins that slot into the battery on my Canon 600D, at the bottom of the battery compartment, think it happened when i inserted a cheap battery pack. Anyway I have contacted Canon and they are refusing to take my warranty because I no longer have proof that I purchased it from a Canon registered store or something.

I got a quote from a repair company which was £96 labour and £60 parts, I understand that it's a niche market and that tkaing apart and repairing a camera is a skilled task but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience dealing with a company or knew if this was a good/bad quote?

Cheers
 Jon Read 06 Mar 2013
In reply to antigravity1989:
I've only had experience in getting a lens fixed. This was with http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/
They did a good job (as you would expect!). They'll provide a quote prior to sending it in. Good luck.

You didn't keep your receipt?? Unfortunately expensive lesson if that's the case... I feel for you. Would a credit card statement help?

Jon,
 peewee2008 06 Mar 2013
In reply to antigravity1989:

I've got a 600D im looking to sell at a decent price.
 Hannes 06 Mar 2013
In reply to antigravity1989: I pulled my Canon 350D apart after the CF slot broke and repairing it would be more than buying a new used 350D and I figured it couldn't hurt to have a look to see if it could easily be sorted. I can only assume the 600D will be pretty similar so here is my experience of it.

Getting into the camera is fairly easy but there are about a hundred little screws, don't lose one. The camera itself was held together with solder joints making a solid frame. They were pretty easy to disassemble but you do need a solder iron and you can't be hamfisted as the joints are just by lots of circuit boards. Reassembling everything should be fairly straight forward as all the connectors were all of snap type rather than being soldered in place. Replacing a PCB should be pretty easy, replacing components on the PCB will be pretty challenging I imagine. Also be careful, the flash capacitor can have enough juice to give you one hell of a shock.

With a camera as new as a 600D I would have had it repaired as they seem to go for about twice the repair bill even when used. The risk of messing something up if you aren't experienced with a solder iron is pretty big.
In reply to Jon Read: I bought from a guy off Gumtree, he had got two for his Birthday or something, everything was fully sealed and legit but now i'll know to ask for proof of purchase. Grrrrr
In reply to Hannes: Cheers man yeah, I'm a student and i have no tools up at uni with me, I think i'm going to just have to bite the bullet, thanks a lot though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...