UKC

crampons without front bail but with replaceable front points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 06 Mar 2013
Does anyone know if there exist crampons with replaceable front points but with a strap rather thasn a bail at the front? I want some, but can't trace any!
 Andy DB 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: Think G14 come in the binding you want.
http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/crampons/8-g14?binding=1
 Slarti B 07 Mar 2013
In reply to RBK:
Nice thing about the Lynx crampons is that they come with interchangeable front bail and straps so you get both options.
 GarethSL 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: BD Cyborg clips
 gear boy 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: As you will see already, BD, Grivel and Petzl make plastic bail fronts on this type of crampon, very common for rental ice climbing as it fits most boots quickly.

You would have to be going some to actually wear out the front points before the rest of the crampon is knackered, either that or you only dry tool
OP Robert Durran 07 Mar 2013
In reply to gear boy:
> You would have to be going some to actually wear out the front points before the rest of the crampon is knackered, either that or you only dry tool.

Or Scottish mixed....
I disagree. I've decided that it is financial madness to buy crampons without replaceable front points (unless only ice climbing perhapos)

Seems there are plenty of options anyway. Thanks!

CurlyStevo 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
"Or Scottish mixed....
I disagree. I've decided that it is financial madness to buy crampons without replaceable front points"

I agree with that.

However I'm surprised that you couldn't find crampons with replaceable points and strap fittings at the front, most (all ?) crampon models that have a toe bail bar version with replaceable points - if there is also a strap version also have replaceable points.
In reply to Robert Durran: Grivel G14, and the new Petzl Lynx too: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5212
OP Robert Durran 07 Mar 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> However I'm surprised that you couldn't find crampons with replaceable points and strap fittings at the front.

Obviously just didn't try hard enough. Pathetic googling technique....
 Nathan Adam 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: mates got a paiir of g14's with plastic toe bail, seem to work pretty well.
 Cameron94 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: Yup I have a pair of grivel g14's with semi-newmatic binding. I use them on scarpa phantom guides and once on scarpa charmoz, the work brilliantly on the former but are a bit to aggresive for what I can climb in my bendy charmoz boots.

The petzl range is also worth a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...