UKC

Ice falls surrounding Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeyme2 06 Mar 2013
Hey,

This is probably a silly question given the current temperatures but does anyone know the condition of ice falls near Chamonix (La Cremerie, Col de Montets or anywhere else which is fairly easy access from the Valley anyone could suggest).

Cheers,

Robbie
 blackcat 08 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2: im sure someone could give you some info,and its not a silly question.
In reply to monkeyme2: It has been pretty mild! I can't honestly tell you the conditions there. But it's been +10 for the last 3 days in Chamonix.

The Argentiere glacier routes looked form a distance like they were just about holding together yesterday but I'd want the temps to drop before I headed for them. If I hear any more I'll let you know.
 GridNorth 08 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2: Quite often when Cham is "out" Cogne is "in" and vice versa.
 Bezz 08 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2: Hi there, I was in Cham Feb 25th - temperatures had at that time been unusually low for the time of year. Had a go at Cascade du Dar (close to the tunnel) but only the first pitch was climbable so moved onto to climb EMHM (just off the Grand Montets lift & down the Pierre a Ric ski run). EMHM was in great nick but temperatures have increased a lot since I was there so may be too thin now. I doubt Cremerie is much fun right now - maybe Cogne would be a better bet?

Good luck with whatever you get up to!
OP monkeyme2 09 Mar 2013
In reply to lberry: Cheers for info guys. Here since Friday and It is very mild here at mo in the valley with freezing around 2000m during day. Everything around the valley looking stripped. Looking at doing some mountain routes instead. Thanks again.
 Graeme Barr 09 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2: with the fresh snow high up yesterday we are off to cogne for a look tomorrow. Will let you know what we find!
 Kelloggs77 10 Mar 2013
In reply to machars:

How long are you in Cham for?
OP monkeyme2 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: Here till Sat. But are tied to Cham as we lack a car. Unless someone else insearch of ice is out here and has a spare couple of seats
 higher.alpine 22 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2:

Hey guys, any updates on the conditions in Cogne? Cheers!
In reply to monkeyme2:

Climbed E Tutto Relativo in Cogne on Weds, was still in good nick, and other routes on the same aspect also looked to be good. Argentiere icefalls looked like they were falling down today (from a distance). Ice/mixed routes like the Frendo Rav and Claire Chazzal are in good nick, but lots of snow making access difficult- put a pretty big trench in to the dificulties on the claire Chazzal today.

HTH

Will
 HarryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeyme2:

Anyone seen the Cosmiques icefall recently?
Cosmiques couloir got climbed a couple of days ago by some Polish guys, they reported fun mixed climbing, but thin/not really there snow/ice. Sounded pretty exciting...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...