UKC

NEWS: Polish Climbers Missing After WInter Ascent of Broad Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Mar 2013
Broad Peak showing the camps of the Polish team, 4 kbPolish climbers Maciej Berbeka, Adam Bielecki, Tomasz Kowalski and Artur Malek have made the first winter ascent of Broad Peak (8,051 m), Karakorum, Pakistan.

Tomasz Kowalski and Maciej Berbeka are now considered to be missing on the mountain.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67886

Owen W-G 07 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

My wife is Polish and praying for Maciej & Tom.
Tragic to be following this in real time.
Good luck chaps.
 wspinacz32 07 Mar 2013
Im Polish myself and I have been following their expedition. Just read interview with Krzysztof Wielicki who is in charge of expedition. He said that today they sent team to 7000 m who is going to observe and to look for missing climbers but they limited what they can do as good weather is going to be over soon. Krsztof said as well that they have to be realistic as chances of them surviving are none at the moment. Saying that Maciej Berbeka who is one of the missing climbers was missing 25 years ago for 2 days and he menage to came back safely and it was on Broad Peak as well.
 whistler 07 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

A tragic situation with little hope for a positive outcome.

For those who don't know, it is worth pointing out that Poles are no strangers to winter himalaism. Krzysztof Wielicki, the expedition leader made 3 first winter ascents of peaks over 8000m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander
redsonja 07 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: poles are fantastic mountaineers- extremley hard core, and great people too. lets hope they are ok
 andyb211 07 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Climbed in Poland in the early 90s, brilliant place wonderful , friendly and welcoming people. You are both in my thoughts and prayers tonight lads.
 James90 08 Mar 2013
redsonja 08 Mar 2013
In reply to James90: really sad
 deepdiver 09 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

R.I.P.
[*] [*]

so sad...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...