UKC

Rab Cirrus - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 07 Mar 2013
Anyone got an opinion on these? I have a voucher for Ellis Brigham which expires in May and was thinking I might get [part of] one of these with it. I have a Rab windshirt (can't remember the name) at the moment which isn't that windproof tbh, and a Vapour Rise alpine light, which is good, but again not 100% windproof.

Don't want to spend too much as it's a bit of a luxury rather than a necessityand it's only a £25 voucher.
OP Fraser 07 Mar 2013
In reply to aldo56:

Thanks for that link. I actually watched it last night and wasn't very impressed, but that was more with the nature of the presentation rather than the content. I was hoping someone here would have owned / used one in anger.
 Ramblin dave 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser:
I'm very happy with mine.
OP Fraser 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks. Can I ask how windproof it is and what sort of layering you usually have under it?
 Ramblin dave 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser:
Hard to answer. It's about as windproof as anything else made of pertex, I guess. I've never noticed it not being windproof and I probably would if it wasn't.

I normally wear it with a baselayer under it for cool weather and a baselayer and microfleece for genuinely cold weather (eg cold winter days walking in scotland) or if I'm not going to be moving very fast (eg climbing). Although I run reasonably hot so YMMV.

The pockets are really useful, because they mean you can control your temperature a lot by swapping gloves, hats, buffs etc on or off without having to stop and faff.

I've got the full zip version with the hood and pockets, fwiw, rather than the half-zip without.
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
>
> Thanks. Can I ask how windproof it is

Pertex isn't windproof, it is wind resistant.

If you want something that is windproof it will need to be a membraned fabric like Gore Windstopper. However this has a few disadvantages, mainly that it is much more expensive and less breathable.

FWIW I've used tops similar to the Rab Cirrus for many years and have used them for everything from cragging to running to alpine routes. I also regularly wear one walk in in Scotland and I even wore on the summit of Denali.

A windshirt is one of the most versatile bits of kit you can own. Buy one!
 Lukeva 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser: I have the smock version, it's great. Wear it for running, Scottish winter approach etc. It's very windproof for its weight and bulk. Also carry it on mountain crags in summer with a thin primaloft belay jacket if there will be no thrutching etc involved as its delicate. My girlfriend has a Montane version which was much cheaper and basically the same.
 aldo56 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser: Marmot Dri-clime is another good option!
OP Fraser 08 Mar 2013
In reply to several:

Thanks for the responses guys, yes I did mean 'wind-resistant'. I am a bit spoilt with the Pertex on my Rab Generator which, in conjunction with the Primaloft, makes for an extremely wind resistant top. The VR mush less so IMO. (I think it's a 'Boreas' I also have, but that hardly seems to resist the wind at all!)

I might take a punt on the Cirrus for what will effectively only be £25-30-ish, net.
OP Fraser 08 Mar 2013
In reply to aldo56:

Thanks, yes that does look good. UNfortunately it doesn't appear to be stocked by 'Ellis Brigham' where I have a voucher for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...