UKC

Ice Axe Grip Tape?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dek 08 Mar 2013
Just wondering what's now the most popular/ effective? Should I just nip into the local Screwfit, or hunt down the posh Petzl stuff, or even Hockey Stick type tape?
(It's for two metal shafts, and one carbon, if that's significant)
bigdelboy 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dek:
Ive got the Petzl tape on my axes and its fantastic. Though not tried many others to judge it against.

neuromancer 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dek:

Self Amalgamating tape.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=self+amalgamating+tape&aq=f&oq=se...

Your local hardware store should stock. It's all the same. It sticks to itself not to the axe so what its made of doesn't matter.
 nniff 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dek:
Screwfix stuff, and a little of Meindl's boot waterproofing stuff on your gloves, which makes the leather tacky whhtout being sticky - a happy discovery recently.
 Mountain Llama 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dek: been using screwfix self amalgamating tape. Works ok but it has a habit of sticking to anything when u store your axes, even each other! Overall its cheap as chips and does a good job, used it on my poles also!
OP dek 09 Mar 2013
In reply to nniff:
Good shout chaps. Once you manage to get the protective film off! it's quite good! Not 'too' tacky, rubbery feel,reasonable insulator on bare metal.
For less than four quid, I reckon it will do about four tools.
(£3.70 Screwfix self amagamating tape)
 Cameron94 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dek: I've got hockey stick tape on my walking axe and thinner sports tape on my climbing axes. Works well it's cheap and easier to find if you drop one. Best part for me though is it stops ice forming on the shaft of my axes which makes daggering much safer.
OP dek 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
What kind of tape is the Sport tape? I suppose if I don't get on with Screwfix tape, it'll be easy enough to experiment with other types.
 Cameron94 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dek: The thin stuff is TecnoPro racket tape which comes in really small rolls around 1m long, you get three in a pack though. It's proving hard to find online otherwise I would have given you a link.
The thicker stuff is Dunlop racket/hockey stick tape.

I got both from Intersport and Sports Direct.

iksander 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dek: PSP tiller tape
OP dek 09 Mar 2013
In reply to iksander:
£24 a metre...is it worth it?!
 Pids 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dek:
Bike inner tube, cut to length, rolled onto shaft, can glue it on if you want (glue on shaft before rolling inner on), works a treat either way
 iksander 10 Mar 2013
In reply to dek: sorry proper name is 'grip kit' £6, does what it says on the tin
 Busby 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Pids:
keen to try this myself, out of curiosity what kind of adhesive did you use to stick the inner tube to the axe?

I've got vulcanizing (sp?) for tyre repair, araldite for strong repairs and some No more nails stuff for generally sticking anything to anything else.
Is there anyone in particular that you'd recommend for the obvious cold weather use that they'll end up enduring?

Cheers,

Iain
ice.solo 18 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to dek)
>
> Self Amalgamating tape.
>
it also sticks to everything else it comes in contact with, forever. i got so tired of unsticking tools from each other if they came in contact that i tried dusting them with climbing chalk - did nothing.

maybe i have the wrong stuff...
OP dek 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Busby:
Tried the tube method in the past, didn't find it much good. The rubber soon shreds and becomes a pain. Quite happy with the slightly 'tacky' plastic self amalgamating tape from Screwfix so far. It's surprisingly not that great as a thermal insulator, but nice and 'grippy' with a decent glove.
OP dek 19 Mar 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to neuromancer)

> maybe i have the wrong stuff...
Perhaps? Yours sounds like the 'old school' tape we used to put on terrors etc, everything stuck like the proverbial, to a blanket.
Dane, on his Cold thistle blog, describes the type of tapes suitable.
Tip, winding it on, down the shaft with a small overlap, gives a nice ribbed textured grip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...