UKC

Bombproof Waterproof Jacket and Trousers??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gordon 09 Mar 2013
Hello folks,

Looking for some ideas/suggestions/sites/manufacturers info.

Basically looking for a waterproof jacket and/or trousers. Having been through various outdoor brands such as NF, Rab etc etc, I've decided what I actually need for most of my day in day out instructional work is something that is warm and 100% waterproof. And I mean 100%, not as in goretex/event type waterproof that stops being waterproof and stops beading after repeated use. I'm thinking PU coated/rubberised type stuff. It doesn't need to be fancy or technically cut, or breathable etc, it just needs to be hardwearing, totally waterproof, warm, and ideally quiet cheap (under £50). A hood would be beneficial on the jacket, as would boot zips on the trousers.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Gordon
andic 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:

expensive options look ad sailing gear; musto etc

cheap have a look at the tool station/screw fix catalogue workwear, hope you don't exert yourself too much though?
 Trangia 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:

Sailing gear, but it's heavy
 Cameron94 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon: With a PU coated jacket you stand as much chance of getting with with sweat and than you do getting wet with rain wearing goretex, event etc.
That's my experience of waterproofs like that anyway.

You do say you don't care about it being breathable though so my suggestion would be a cag used for watersports such as; http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/YAK/Yak_Products/index.html?catid=48
 abcdefg 09 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

> ... have a look at the tool station/screw fix catalogue workwear ...

Equally: have a look at stuff sold for farmers to wear.
Gordon 09 Mar 2013

Cheers folks, some useful suggestions. Been doing some web searching, and found two things out

1. These kind of jackets cost more than I thought they would.
2. Expect the unexpected when you type in "Rubberised Clothing"!!
 Solaris 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:

Paramo?
 David Barratt 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon: Rab Neo shell. but not cheap. If you regularly wash your goretex etc. with nikwax or grangers. it will continue beading a lot longer. e-vent... that's harder to keep going. more 'breathable' but needs more care.
 Ridge 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:
Faithful always made good kit when I worked on site:

http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Rain_Wear.html
 fire_munki 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:
Not as cheap as specified but buffalo is supposed to last for ever.
 StuDoig 11 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
As a big buffalo fan, I'd not recommend it to the OP as its not waterproof. Heavy rain will wet it out even if brand new.

OP - I bought a cheap set of nylon/PU coated sallopettes for sailing in from a fishermans Co-op for about £15 which have been great and toally waterproof. Are a bit sweaty when having a wander about on land but not too bad. If your anywhere near a working fishing port it may be worth having a look to see if they have any similar type stores.

Cheers,

Stuart
 MagnusL 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:

Army Surplus goretex jacket. Can't beat them!
 Andy Hardy 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon: have you looked at Keela? http://www.keela.co.uk/outerwear.html
 fire_munki 11 Mar 2013
In reply to StuDoig:
My thinking for buffalo was nothing ever keeps you totally dry from rain or sweat so why not be warm when you do get wet!
Although it is off base for the op's request so sorry!
 Milesy 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon:

I had a friend wear some Helly Hansan sailing/fishing gear one day. He ended up soaking from the inside. I am sure that will meat your purpose of completely waterproof. Plastic ponchos also work but having worn one at T in the park one warm wet year they are also hot and stupidly sweaty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...