UKC

Facebook and dead people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cog 09 Mar 2013

I joined Facebook to look at some photos. I think there is a lot of drivel but some interesting stuff and some funny stuff.

After Ed Grindley died it asked me to become his friend many times, I found this slightly disturbing so suggested to his nephew that he might delete his profile (maybe that was not a good idea, he might have had some interesting stuff on there).

Recently someone I used to work with died and any time I go onto Facebook I'm asked if I want to be his friend. Another lad at work noticed the same thing and we think we might be getting these requests as lots of people are looking at his page.

Has anyone else had similar?
 kathrync 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Cog:

I have seen this as well.

If FB is informed of someone's death using the memorialisation request form, they will turn the deceased person's FB page into a memorial page. This means that the person will no longer appear as a suggested contact and it locks down a lot of the settings so that only friends of the deceased can see the account and deactivates the log in. It removes personal information (email addresses etc) but it leaves the wall intact so friends of the deceased can still see it and post to it in memoria.

Sadly, I don't think this facility is well known; there are at least two people that I know to be deceased who regularly show up as suggested contacts for me.
 Only a hill 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Cog:
Have you watched the latest series of Black Mirror? This issue is addressed and it paints quite a disturbing picture of how this might develop in future.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/episode-guide/series-2/epis...
OP Cog 09 Mar 2013
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for the info.

In reply to Only a Hill:

I'll maybe look at that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...