Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Job interview: don't want to go, what's good form?

ksjs - on 10 Mar 2013
I have a job interview at 9 tomorrow. This is the 3rd interview. I was offered the job after the 2nd interview.

I think this interview is more of a personality type / will this person fit in / look me in the eye sort of thing.

Trouble is I expressed reservations (to the recruitment agent involved) about the job after being offered it. Regardless, it was strongly suggested that I still attend the 3rd interview. Since then my feelings have strengthened and I now can't see myself accepting the job (for very good reasons that won't change and aren't negotiable).

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this situation (it shouldn't have gone this far) and to be honest I've had enough. I just want it to be over. My options seem to be:

1. Go for the interview with an open mind and finalise my decision afterwards;
2. Go for the interview and explain the situation i.e. that I've changed my mind; or
3. Seek to cancel the interview first thing tomorrow. No idea how practical this would be as I don't know if I can contact the interviewer before 9 yet I need to leave home at 8 to make the interview start time.

My preference is option 3 but it could look really bad. Equally however is it not worse to turn up for interview and for it to end within 5 minutes after I declare my hand or for it to feel fake. Maybe the best option is 2 but then that's potentially a 'waste' of my time and the interviewer's and a letdown.

Any thoughts on how you'd like to be treated if you were the interviewer? To be clear: there is no basis (within the parameters of what's realistic) that I would accept the job and I'm not seeking any further interview experience.

And finally, I know I shouldn't have let it get to this stage but it was only on reflection (time for which wasn't given) that my feelings became clear. So please, no recriminations.
... not showing 38 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums