UKC

A Good Prime Minister

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 10 Mar 2013
Why is it we have a PM who can't make good decisions about important things that matter in this country.

1) Immigration policy
2) Stimulating manufacturing
3) A referendum on Europe
4) Protecting the NHS, not privatising it
5) A new or revised look on Human Rights (being abused by criminals)
6) Sorting out this new train line HS2 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-hs2s-33bn-budget-al...
7) Corporate Tax Invasion
8) Putting some legislation that does prevent continuing bank bonuses

Instead we have a lame duck. Is it me , or is this guy just useless?

(rant over)
 Kemics 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

you forgot to mention appointing Micheal Gove.

Christ he's so bad I'm worried I might be forced to vote labour just because it's the surest way of getting rid of Gove.
 Philip 10 Mar 2013
Do you want a democracy or a benign dictator?
 Postmanpat 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Can you list your suggested policies on ech issue?
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Yes I'd be interested in that too.

Though I do agree that Cameron and his cronies are a an incompetent (Hunt! Gove! Osborne! May!) waste of space, and he is an increasingly embarrassing figure.
The Papa Lazarou 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Philip: democracy is the right to vote for who is going to oppress you for the next five years.................Karl Marx I think???
 MG 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Not sure about Gove. He is rather too competent but just in the wrong direction. May too perhaps.
OP Blizzard 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm afraid you might shoot me down on my opinions. Personally though I wonder if a dictactor for one term might not be a bad thing, providing they actually DO something.

No more immigration. Stop it. This country is overcrowded.
Pull out of Europe
Capping Bankers bonuses
Forget HS2
Patients of the NHS have to pay £10 per appointment (its not privatisation- a fee to help protect it)
 MG 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Other than HS2, isn't that rather similar to the Conservatives' policies?
OP Blizzard 10 Mar 2013
In reply to MG:

The conservatives havent actually done anything yet have they? Or am I missing something?
 MG 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Major restrictions on immigration, promise of referendum on Europe if re-elected, cap on bonuses (almost?) agreed...
OP Blizzard 10 Mar 2013
In reply to MG:

Immediate referendum in the UK urgently needed. It ought to have been done years ago
In reply to Blizzard:

Ah well there you go, the wonder of democracy:

No more immigration. Stop it. This country is overcrowded. - No it isn't by any reasonable standard, (look at Holland, Belgium, Singapore ... we're not in the same league) and we benefit from the free exchange of labour.
Pull out of Europe - yeah great idea, our economy disappears and we become a less influential equivalent of Croatia.
Capping Bankers bonuses - Another great idea - not (only the EU could think it was either enforceable or sensible).
Forget HS2 - Yes, let's throw all visionary, infrastructure long term projects out of the window until ???
Patients of the NHS have to pay £10 per appointment (its not privatisation- a fee to help protect it) - I wish people who come up with this cr*p would think it through - So a poor person/little old lady/school kid has to stump up £10 when they have a tickling cough which has gone on for - how long? And then you find they have TB or cancer, which could have been cured if caught early enough, but instead will kill them prematurely and/or be spread around the population.

OK so we won't be replacing Cameron with you anytime soon.
 MG 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to MG)
>
> Immediate referendum in the UK urgently needed. It ought to have been done years ago

It was.
In reply to MG: No it wasn't. The definition of a refereundum is one that comes up with the result that you wanted. Anything else is technically known as either a 'travesty' or a 'sham.'
OP Blizzard 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I dont think pulling out of Europe would make that big a difference. We can still trade without being IN europe.
Old women with coughs shouldnt be wasting hospitals valueable time and resources- they ought go see their GP
Truth is I dont think we able to support our aging population, so why not think about legalising voluntary euthanasia. I have a very sick mother who when I visit her she says she wants to die. Hospitals are clogged up with old people keeping those beds full.
We keep extending human life with drugs? Why?
Bankers are over paid to do what?
HS2 is a nice idea, but did you know alread £250 million has been spent and its a mess. It will go totally overbudget. I didnt think the UK has any spare cash.
YES we are overcrowded.

What bright ideas do you have seeing as you are so vociferous, anti my point of view.

I am not suggesting I become PM,NOR WOULD I WANT TOO but I think he is doing a lousy job. He isnt actually doing anything.

Controvertial views maybe, but they are mine. Go on shoot me down and tell me I am wrong.
In reply to Blizzard:

> 1) Immigration policy

Start a system like Australia's where only those who have a guarantee of work, and are able to prove they can support themselves, can get entry visas.

> 2) Stimulating manufacturing

Impose import tarriffs on any product which recieves government subsidies in the country in which it is produced, allowing it to undercut UK products. Use this tax money to fund UK R&D.

> 3) A referendum on Europe

Just get us out, FFS.

> 4) Protecting the NHS, not privatising it

Adopt an Australia style system of private/public funding.

> 5) A new or revised look on Human Rights (being abused by criminals)

Write a UK human rights charter, one presided over and regulated by British judges for British people.

> 6) Sorting out this new train line HS2

Dump it.

> 7) Corporate Tax Invasion

Re-write corporate tax law, closing all the known loop holes, make tax haven fraud punishable by long jail terms.

> 8) Putting some legislation that does prevent continuing bank bonuses

Make banks take puiblic representation by ordinary members as part of their shareholder proectus, make each customer part of the banks ownership.

Skyfall 10 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> Re-write corporate tax law, closing all the known loop holes, make tax haven fraud punishable by long jail terms.

Tax fraud is already punishable with jail sentences (and often is). Whether it's onshore of offshore makes no difference. All they need to do is change the tax law to make it illegal.

To the OP: I really like your reference to Corporate Tax Invasion. It sounds quite fun and actually like we're being invaded by companies wanting to pay tax over here. Like Starbucks do, or don't, well they kinda do.
OP Blizzard 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Whoops! typo.lol
redsonja 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: cameron is hopeless. the country is on its knees and going nowhere. he makes fancy speeches, talks but doesnt listen. and he always looks angry doesnt he?
 EeeByGum 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: So maybe you need to start a political party that has these views? If you find a lot of people joining your party, you will know you are onto something.
 Mike Stretford 11 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> > 2) Stimulating manufacturing

> Impose import tarriffs on any product which recieves government
> subsidies in the country in which it is produced, allowing it to
> undercut UK products. Use this tax money to fund UK R&D.

> > 3) A referendum on Europe

> Just get us out, FFS.

Recipe for disaster... British exports immeadiateley hit by a series of retaliatory policies, just as British firms are trying to get used to life outside the EU.
 EeeByGum 11 Mar 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to Blizzard) cameron is hopeless. the country is on its knees and going nowhere. he makes fancy speeches, talks but doesnt listen. and he always looks angry doesnt he?

Perhaps it depends on where you stand. The UK certainly isn't on its knees from where I stand. Both the companies that I and my wife work at are booming. I am really starting to get bored of hearing people blame the government for hard times and then blame the government for not getting them out of hard times. We are all individuals with personal responsibility for our own actions. Blaming the government is just an excuse. It doesn't matter who is PM - nothing would be any different.
redsonja 11 Mar 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: i agree that it doesnt matter who is PM. so why do we have one at all? and theres not a lot i can do to stop giving out so much of the tax payers money in benefits and to protect peadophiles, terrorists and war criminals. maybe give guy fawkes a call....
 Neil Williams 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

"No more immigration. Stop it. This country is overcrowded. "

Disagree, though I think we should have a targeted immigration policy based on skill shortages like the Swiss do. (They get a lot of things right, speaking of which...)

"Pull out of Europe"

No, absolutely no. Ideally renegotiate into a trade agreement like Switzerland has, but if that proves impossible we are IMO better in than out.

"Capping Bankers bonuses"

Pointless, they will find a way round it.

"Forget HS2"

Agree on that one, though! Personally I would like the money still spent on transport, but on local city transport, e.g. electrification projects, trams and a re-regulation of the bus service outside London. (Nowhere else in the world has such a stupid bus setup as this country).

"Patients of the NHS have to pay £10 per appointment (its not privatisation- a fee to help protect it)"

Can of worms, and a very dangerous one at that. It'd soon end up way higher.

So personally, I'd vote Cameron over yourself.

Neil
In reply to Blizzard:

"Immediate referendum in the UK urgently needed. It ought to have been done years ago"

The problem is that most people don't properly understand the issues and will just make a Daily Mail-style out vote. There would need to be a programme of heavy education in the issues leading up to a referendum at least a year off, IMO.

The vote might still be "out", but at least people would properly understand why. There is far too much misinformation about the EU out there.

Neil
 Enty 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> "Immediate referendum in the UK urgently needed. It ought to have been done years ago"
>
> The problem is that most people don't properly understand the issues and will just make a Daily Mail-style out vote. There would need to be a programme of heavy education in the issues leading up to a referendum at least a year off, IMO.
>
>

I got totally flamed for suggesting that last month.

E
 Rob Exile Ward 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty: Suggesting what - that there should be a referendum or that there should be a a programme of heavy education?

Trouble is, can you imagine pitching the complex economic and subtle legal/political/historical/philosphical arguments in favour of teh EU against the hysterical ranting of the DM and the cynical self interested lies of teh Murdoch empire?
 EeeByGum 11 Mar 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to EeeByGum) i agree that it doesnt matter who is PM. so why do we have one at all? and theres not a lot i can do to stop giving out so much of the tax payers money in benefits and to protect peadophiles, terrorists and war criminals. maybe give guy fawkes a call....

Well the government's job is to dole out our tax money in a way they feel best to serve society based on the mandate given to them by the electorate. If you don't agree with that mandate, tough. Democracy never set out to please everyone.

The point I was making is that the PM and government have little control over the underlying economy. Whoever was in power, would not have been able to prevent the current recession which is a very different thing from saying that the PM has no influence at all.

If you want to live in a country that has no governance, pop over to Somalia or Afghanistan. The UK is not on its knees.
 tony 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> Trouble is, can you imagine pitching the complex economic and subtle legal/political/historical/philosphical arguments in favour of teh EU against the hysterical ranting of the DM and the cynical self interested lies of teh Murdoch empire?

I reckon you could make people's heads explode by pointing out that Britain entered the Common Market under a Tory PM, and that it was Margaret Thatcher who signed the Single European Act, and it was John Major who signed the Maastricht Treaty. Good Europeans all of them.
redsonja 11 Mar 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: are you saying they are making a good job of spending our money?
In reply to heidi123:

I personally think they could do a lot worse. Labour spent profligately, causing some of the problems we are now experiencing, and encouraged the consumer credit society, another cause.

"Live within your means" is the correct lesson, be that as an individual or as a Government. If we have to cut to achieve that, we have to cut. Though I do not oppose tax increases that hit me where the money is for an important purpose (note: box-ticking stuff does not count as an important purpose, however an example of something that would would be increased funding for the NHS, perhaps for something like free dental treatment for all).

Neil
 muppetfilter 11 Mar 2013
In reply to heidi123: I dont think the Joint services Downhill ski jolly in Serre Chevalier was a particularly proficient way to spank a few hundred grand of our tax contributions ....
 Philip 11 Mar 2013
> > 2) Stimulating manufacturing

> Impose import tarriffs on any product which recieves government
> subsidies in the country in which it is produced, allowing it to
> undercut UK products. Use this tax money to fund UK R&D.

> > 3) A referendum on Europe

> Just get us out, FFS.

The irony is that one of the good things the EU does is exactly this. There is a harmonised tariff system that means that all EU countries stand together in their taxation of cheap imports. The reason this is good is that if we didn't work as a single EU, the cheap imports would go into say Spain, leaving the expensive German product for us Brits. By acting as a single EU it protects manufacturing in the EU and prevents one EU member benefiting from cheaper imports than another.

In reply to Blizzard:

Before we think about building HS2 -- an 'electrified' line that wont be built for at least 20 years, isn't it about time the politicians got their fingers out of there own (and each others) @rses and actually planned where the electricity is going to come from. If there's a shortage of power, High Speed rail becomes an irrelevance.
 whity4420 11 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

1) A valid point, not applicable to EU countries whilst we're in the EU. As for the whole "all these countries joining and coming over here"... well we didn't stop them joining.

2) Think this already exists within the EU. (those b*stards! :P)

3) Why? Because they... uh... immigrants and human rights! The first is, I think, given far too much importance in the argument and is pretty distorted by scary headlines about them stealing our benefits! Second, see below. Overall the EU is hugely beneficial. There is a reason why we've stayed in, both under Tories and Labor.

4) I think ours is better than the Aussies. Free at point of treatment. Brilliant method. Nobody dies or is forced into bankruptcy because they can't afford treatment. There's is better than the US, sure, but ours is better still

5) The problem with that...... Well it's a bit speculative, but don't you think it's too easy to change? The EU one is brilliant. Sure it causes some issues but I think they're a small price to pay. The protection given to people is amazing. If the government can suddenly, and very easily, change it to suit their needs... would you really trust them with it?

6) Not sure that HS2 is the best option, would have rather seen more investment for inner city transport systems.

7) Easier said than done... but yeah.

8) Building Societies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...