UKC

Climbing in Falmouth or Penryn area of Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jc545staffy 10 Mar 2013
I am going to be moving to and living in Falmouth in about 6 months time and I just wanted to no what the climbing is like, and what the community is like there really. Firstly I have to get a house / flat to rent so if there are any guys out there moving out come September or any that need a roomy then please do get intouch!

Cheers
 Tom Last 10 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

There is very little (none really) climbing in the immediate vicinity of Falmouth/Penryn.

Further afield you have Penwith to the west, all the stuff on the north coast, some stuff near St Austell but closest of all to you will be the crags at Rinsey (near Helston) and on the Lizard.

Many of these crags and sea cliffs, those in Penwith in particular are as good as any in the country.

There is a small wall in Penryn, Granite Planet, I've never been but I get the impression it's mostly aimed at beginners. (Much) Further afield there is the Barn which is excellent.

Falmouth is a great town to live in. Are you studying at Tremough? I wouldn't want to live in Penryn personally, it's over a decade since I lived in Falmouth but it was and I don't doubt still is a much more interesting place than Penryn.

There are a lot of students in Falmouth and it's very lively, with the obvious mix of great people and w*nky pretentious knobheads too - there are a lot of these.

Falmouth's probably the best town in Cornwall, just don't expect it to stop raining, ever.
jc545staffy 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man: Yeah Im doing a masters there. Cant wait really Ive been in the rat race in the middle of brum for little over 8 months now but its killing me! Thanks Sman.
 Tom Last 10 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

I'm sure you'll love it there, it really is a great town. Assuming your profile is up to date, then Trewavas is a great crag for that grade range and one of your closest crags too. Very good evening venue.

Have a good'un.
 Skip 10 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

As Southern Man says, some fantastic crags in West Penwith. Lizard peninsula is also very good. The wall in Penryn really isn't up to much.

Get in touch in 6 months time if you are looking for partners.
jc545staffy 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man: I havent climbed for a while now so ill need to get fit, and a friend. Havent done much dws or cliff though!
 Tom Last 10 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

There's not a whole lot of DWS about to be honest, there are pockets (some at Trewavas as it goes) but it's spread out and a bit hard to find.

Don't worry too much about sea cliffs. Places like Trewavas, Bosigran etc have plenty of options whereby you won't have to go anywhere near the sea, in these instances the sea is just a nice backdrop. For the most memorable stuff though, bring your ab rope...
jc545staffy 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Skip: Brill, will do!
 Denni 10 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

Falmouth is a great place you'll love itTaPe run about 20 mins away from town, not a massive amount there but it is ok. Wife's sister lives there so we get down there a bit, would happily live in Falmouth.

If you get the chance head to Sennen, plenty of routes to choose, either walk round at low tide or abb down, go surfing or walk to Lands End. Very jealous, enjoy yourself!
 Denni 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:
That was supposed to say Penryn about 20 mins away. Bloody apple technology!
 chrisweight 12 Mar 2013
In reply to jc545staffy:

There's a new wall opening in Bodmin, (Magic Wood Climbing Wall, I think it's called), if you want indoor. There's some DWS east of Falmouth - Nare Head (not too far from Falmouth) and further east again at Dodman Point.

Inland you've got Roche Rock and Luxulyan Valley, but they're probably about 30 mins drive.

West Penwith is - as others have said - pretty damned good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...