/ Camping Lanterns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam_in_Leeds - on 11 Mar 2013
Hello

Thinking about doing quite a bit more camping this summer than ever before and made me think I'd like to splash out on a lantern.

I'll be camping solo for quite a bit of the time so suspect I'll be in my tent for quite a long time.

So, it it better to go for a gas-lantern or an LED lantern?

I was looking at this one in Go-Outdoors but have no idea how long the gas would last? On a low enough to read light, how long would a 500 canister last?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-f1-lite-camping-lantern-p118300

I'm looking for something mainly for reading/pottering about in a tent.

I've got a Petzl Mio XP headtorch I can use for things like cooking but find the LED light quite harsh in front of my fave for extended reading sessions.

My camping stove is a gas one too, could I use the same cartridge for lighting/eating or would I get through too much gas?

I'm definitely not going for a petrol one - I worry enough about filling my car up.
skarabrae - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: i may be wrong here, but would a gas lantern not give off carbon monoxide?
The Lemming - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

My money would go on a wind up LED lantern. I've used a couple over the years and think that they are great. Simply wind up and go. No need to buy extra batteries.

I even used one for several years as a bedside light. It was good enough to light up the whole room.
wilkie14c - on 11 Mar 2013
A mini maglight for solo camping, you can remove the head unit and turn it into a 'candle' for reading. Tealights are cheap for reading too but you need a glass or something to put them in to stop them being knocked over. Coleman do a mini gas lantern too, the F1 IIRC
In reply to The Lemming:
RE- windups, I got a radio/light/mobile charger all in one gizmo off ebay, battery powered or wind-up, its great!
In reply to blanchie14c:
maglight - candle mode, 3 minutes in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa1VulgAaB4
browndog33 - on 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: Don't know if this is your kind of thing but check out the Uco candle lanterns, I've just bought one for exactly the scenario you mention.
In reply to browndog33: also check out 'UFO' lights from Wilkinsons, circular array of LED's and the back has a magnet to stick to tent fabric (a spoon or something steel on the outside) and a folding hook to hang from above. They take 3 AAAs and only cost 8 quid for 2
SFM - on 11 Mar 2013

If you decide to opt for a gas lantern then drop me a pm as I have one that
I might sell.
wilkesley - on 12 Mar 2013
I use a Silverpoint Mini Lantern: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverpoint-Mini-Lantern--/dp/B006C0WIS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=13630795...