UKC

Getting back into climbing after injury what to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wcote 12 Mar 2013
So I have been out of action for just over a year, due to a complete fracture of my arm, and Dr and physio said to avoid climbing for a year so I did.

Now I'm going to start bouldering indoors again in April, but I'm just wondering at what pace I should go back in. I used to go 3-4 times a week. How many times should I go, also should I keep the grades low and ease my self in for a few months.

Does anyone have any other tips?

Thanks!
 jkarran 12 Mar 2013
In reply to wcote:

I'm pretty sure your body will give you all the feedback you need if you listen to it. Give it a go, start nice and easy for a few sessions to see how you're coping. Adjust slowly from there.

jk
 GeoffRadcliffe 12 Mar 2013
In reply to wcote: Hopefully you will have had physio and done lots of stretching and strength building exercises during that year...

Rather than bouldering, why don't you start by doing easy routes at a climbing wall. Bouldering is fairly intense. As has been said your body is the best feedback. However, I don't see any problem with 3 sessions a week but keep them short to begin with and of low intensity.

You may also benefit by doing some easy weights, pressups, pullups, hangs etc. These can be done in a very controlled way.
wcote 12 Mar 2013
In reply to wcote: Yes I have do lots of physio 'work' it makes such a difference.

Yes I have just started to do pull ups, I could only do 5!

I think your right take it easy and listen to my body.

No campus boarding for a while!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...