UKC

rusty crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello! My second winter season and the crampons are starting to get covered with a thin layer of rust in places - despite being thoroughly dried immediately after every day out. Any tips on how to remove this, and conservation to possibly prevent/slow down? Does WD40 solve all the problems, or are there other ways?
Any thoughts from those more experienced than me appreciated!
RCC 12 Mar 2013
In reply to island_explorer:
> Hello! My second winter season and the crampons are starting to get covered with a thin layer of rust in places - despite being thoroughly dried immediately after every day out. Any tips on how to remove this, and conservation to possibly prevent/slow down? Does WD40 solve all the problems, or are there other ways?
> Any thoughts from those more experienced than me appreciated!

Short answer is just don't worry about it. The alloy they use rusts very slowly (and generally only on the surface); the crampons will wear out long before the rust affects them.

I do nothing to look after my crampons (I don't generally dry them out even) and still have pairs that are 20yrs+ old and are still going strong.

martinph78 12 Mar 2013
In reply to island_explorer: WD40 contains solvents so you need to be careful with it around slings/ropes etc. Also once the solvent evaporates it leaves very little in the way of protection. Wouldn't bother with that myself.

I'd just leave them and give them a light wire brush every so often to remove the surface rust.

If you are really bothered a wire brush and a fresh paint at the end of each season would help I guess.
 aldo56 12 Mar 2013
In reply to island_explorer: Surface rust shouldn’t cause any problems, you’re always being to get a bit on chromoly things which aren’t pained. Just air dry them and give them a wipe down.
 muppetfilter 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin1978: WD40 does no harm to ropes or webbing slings.
 jkarran 12 Mar 2013
In reply to island_explorer:

WD40 is harmless but I wouldn't bother. Just let them rust, it won't do any harm.

jk
 martinph78 12 Mar 2013
In reply to muppetfilter: I stand corrected, although I'd still rather not get any solvents on my ropes or slings.
In reply to island_explorer: Thanks! Consensus is not to worry. Which is great news, I can now use all my WD40 on the bike instead... Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...