UKC

Easy lake routes for soloing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Oliiver 13 Mar 2013
Dose any one know any easy lakes routes without much or any exposure for soloing, for a first timer with some experience?
 coldfell 13 Mar 2013
Custs Gully on Great End or Number 2 gully Red Tarn Face for starters, I have taken novices up both of these with no problems.
redsonja 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver: easy gully on dow crag
 michaelb1 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver: Go to tarn crag. Then up gully II & down gully III (or vice versa). Then if you've still got some energy left round the back of the tarn & up Seat Sandal to finish. A reet grand day out.

Lew13 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

No2 Gully on Helvellyn, as already mentioned would be ideal, as would a lot of the Grade I gullies in the Lakes.
 osheye 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver: where you from ? , more profile......limited with injury atm but can still climb.....owen.
 Jamie B 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Sorry, but I think it is grossly irresponsible to give advice on soloing to someone I don't know, given the possible harsh consequences. I wish others would take this on board.
 JayPee630 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Agreed. Anyone that can't use a guidebook and then make a decision based on that, their own experience, and some on the ground judgement making as to some routes, shouldn't be soloing anything IMO.
 Jamie B 15 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't be soloing. It's their choice and the hills are all about freedom. But I'm not going to be complicit in those risks unless I've got a very good feel for what they're capable of.
 coldfell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Jamie B: I imagine the original poster is already searching guides, online forums and experienced sources, but maybe not having the advantage of living in the lakes like me - but like us all he/she has to take the first steps (for me it was with a borrowed ice axe and jeans many years ago)and like my daughter, as i advised her, Custs Gully and no 2 gully unless loaded with new snow would be a good choice. Thats what forums are for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...